Palms

Aren't the ashes of Ash Wednesday made from last year's palms (Palm Sunday)? What do we do with the palms from last year?

(this may be the wrong season to ask, but since I'm thinking of it...)

That is frequently the case. My parish has been collecting palms for several weeks.

While it's likely too late this time aound, you could ask for next time.

Thank you, sir.

I never hear of it, and I've been collecting palms for some time now... Maybe next year...

[quote="rfournier103, post:1, topic:314732"]
Aren't the ashes of Ash Wednesday made from last year's palms (Palm Sunday)? What do we do with the palms from last year?

(this may be the wrong season to ask, but since I'm thinking of it...)

[/quote]

Sometimes you can give them to your parish and they may burn them in the Easter Vigil fire.

I have heard of some people who burn them themselves. Burning is usually considered an appropriate way to dispose of blessed objects. I don't know for sure whether or not this is appropriate, however (or what one would/should do with the resulting ashes.)

[quote="SonCatcher, post:2, topic:314732"]
That is frequently the case. My parish has been collecting palms for several weeks.

While it's likely too late this time aound, you could ask for next time.

[/quote]

This. Just save them for next year. I actually forgot this year. :o Or, save them all if that's what you like.

[quote="silicasandra, post:5, topic:314732"]
I have heard of some people who burn them themselves. Burning is usually considered an appropriate way to dispose of blessed objects. I don't know for sure whether or not this is appropriate, however (or what one would/should do with the resulting ashes.)

[/quote]

Yeah, you can do this - because they are no longer palms, having been burned (carbon) and then lose their blessing and can be respectfully discarded (i.e. buried in the ground).

You can keep your old palms if you want, though. Maybe you have more than one crucifix or holy picture in your house you'd like to keep one near.... they are a sacramental and bring a blessing when used or displayed devoutly, so they are good things to have.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.