"Pange Lingua" used instead of "Laud, O Zion" for Corpus Christi sequence?

The Corpus Christi sequence “Laud, O Zion” was replaced with the hymn “Pange Lingua/Sing My Tongue, the Savior’s Glory” to the St. Thomas hymn tune at my parish. I was wondering if that is licit to use a different hymn for the sequence.

Consider yourself lucky to have had a Sequence at all; we had nothing, a Sunday just like any other.

I don’t believe it is proper (although this may be a matter of assuming they knew which hymn written for Corpus Christi by St Thomas was meant).

I think that should not have been done.

Re: Mattapoisett64

You should see what you can do. It can simple as reading it. All you would need is another “reader” to read it after the second reading (the only difference is that there would be no introduction [ie, no “a reading from …”])

I’t have to look at the words again but it seems to me that the verses of the shorter option at the end of the longer sequence, beginning “Lo” are similar to some verses of Pange Lingua. count your self lucky to have any reference to the Eucharist in the music at your Mass today, most of us had to make do with One Bread One Body or Bread of Life

Ya, it was this version:

1. Sing, my tongue, the Savior’s glory,
    Of His flesh the mystery sing,
    Of the blood, all price exceeding,
    Shed by our immortal King,
    Destined, for the world’s redemption,
    From a noble womb to spring.
  1. Of a pure and spotless virgin,
    Born for us, His love to show,
    He, as man, with man conversing,
    Stayed, the seeds of truth to sow;
    Then He closed in wondrous fashion,
    This His life on earth below.
  1. On the night of that Last Supper,
    Seated with His chosen band,
    He, the paschal victim eating,
    First fulfills the law’s command;
    Then as food to all His brethren
    Gives Himself with His own hand.
  1. Christ, the Word made Flesh, by speaking,
    Earthly bread to flesh He turns;
    Wine becomes His blood so precious—
    Unconceived in human terms!
    Hearts sincere perceive this marvel;
    Faith its lessons quickly learns.

The Lauda Sion is the appointed sequence. If it is not used, nothing should take its place.

No sequence or Catholic Eucharistic Hymns at this parish, here on the Left Coast.
:frowning:

As the sequence is optional, I do not see how this could be illicit. It seems a better selection than most.

But there is no provision for an alternate hymn, no “another suitable hymn may be used.”

The option is to have the sequence, not to stick in whatever you feel like.

The English translation in the Lectionary could be transcribed into a Pange Lingua as the meters agree but the stanzas vary like the Crux Fidelis.
We use this. Every year I edit this and try to play with the accents so there are different version floating around. It is a HYMN and in a sense bound to the text in a line by line relation more so than tied strictly to the tonic accent.
Modern notation in Ab and Square notes

Here is the “Laud O Sion” in English with modern notation

Typo: page 8, line 2.

I find that really odd, as Pange Lingua is what is sung at the EF for Corpus Christi. :shrug:

No, Lauda Sion is.

We go through this every year. I wish people would stop replacing the sequence with anything they want. I guess that’s what happens when the propers are allowed to be replaced: people think that anything can be replaced by a song.

We used the short form of Lauda Sion as sequence at our two parishes this weekend.

I wanted to use the full sequence, but the only setting at my disposal was the former English translation. I also prefer Latin, but… English it was to be, and as it was printed in our worship aid Breaking Bread. So, I sat down and inserted the “new” English translation into the old chant. I wasn’t satisfied with that, and then I ran out of time. Thus, we used the “short” form and the music for it from OCP…

Yup! Disappointed! But we DID have a sequence!

My hope is that we can use the sequences Stabat Mater and Dies Irae later this year. I, of course, need to check with Fr.

I do regret that sequences are nearly eliminated. They are so effective in preparing us for the Gospel.

mc

For those poor parishes stuck with OCP hymnals, there is no Lauda Sion text given. Only a a poorly-translated English version without music or a hymn with a paraphrased text.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.