Panic Attack at Mass last Sunday

Little off subject but still kinda related. My mom, whom is Cradle Catholic and had not been a member of a RCC in several years rejoined a Parish about 2 yrs ago. However due to her physical health she has panic attacks when she goes. She is in a walker and the bathroom is not close to the sanctuary at all. She has bad Knees and can’t move that fast. She has to use the bathroom quite regularly. However she has her panic attacks because she is afraid she won’t make it to the restroom in time. I told her to talk with the Priest and see what he might suggest. I am sure he could probably due a home visit, confession and communion there right?

0 Likes

I had the same problem - not being able to find a Catholic therapist; and the therapists I did find more recently were rather hostile to my faith life and/or didn’t feel it was something they could really talk about with me. I did find Catholic Psych online and have worked with them using online therapy. It’s been a blessing.

2 Likes

“Deliver us, Lord, from every evil, and grant us peace in our day. In your mercy keep us free from sin and protect us from all anxiety as we wait in joyful hope for the coming of our Saviour, Jesus Christ.”

Focusing on this prayer during Mass helped me greatly.

Getting up several hours before Mass helps me prepare in mind and body.
Rolling out of bed and getting to Mass by the seat of pants is a recipe for disaster.
Sit where you are most comfortable.

3 Likes

Your parish should have some sort of provision for bringing the sacraments to the homebound. Health and mobility problems are a challenge for many many people. Call the parish office and inquire.

2 Likes

Mass should be a safe place for you where you find comfort. Sit anywhere, we are all united within the Mass no matter what row you are in.

0 Likes

Oh, I forgot… one therapist was Catholic, but I only saw her once or twice because she was pretty far away from here and knew nothing about ocd.

1 Like

Definitely speak with your priest and let him know about your panic attacks and that being confirmed with a large crowd at the Cathedral will be too stressful. It is possible to be confirmed at a daily Mass or even during a Communion service.

When my elderly mother was received into the Church our pastor did a Communion service for us with 3 other people in attendance. It was wonderful and my mother was not stressed. She was baptized, received First Communion and Confirmation at age 86. :grinning:

1 Like

Thank you for saying this, my daughter has an anxiety problem that spills over into Mass attendance.

1 Like

That’s good news!

1 Like

Interesting you say that. I sit in the first row too. It’s VERY penitential.

0 Likes

I too suffer from Anxiety Disorder and have for many, many years. However, I am on meds for it. I had problems during Confirmation myself, but with prayers, my sponsor, fellow Catechumens and meds I made it through.
Lots of great advice from Father in the above posts.

2 Likes

Thanks. We belong to different Parishes I live about 2 1/2 hour away. I told her to call her parish. Maybe I should call for her.

1 Like

Anxiety is a terrible thing. I know. I have it. My dog died in December right before Christmas and it sent a boomerang in my direction.

Now I am afraid to leave my other dog for fear he may die while I’m out. Sounds irrational, but that’s how anxiety works.

0 Likes

Have you seen a doctor?

0 Likes

So sorry to hear that. Prayers.

0 Likes

closed #38

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

0 Likes

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.