pap smear! nervous!

Hi… I am getting a physical done today and a pap smear is going to be part of it. I’m a little nervous!! Is it really as scary as it seems? Do you remember your first one?

Thanks…

It really isn't that bad. I was nervous too. They have smaller kits available for those who need them. I really barely felt mine, and I have a lot of girly problems that cause pain. Ask if they have the smaller version available in your office and try to breathe and say a prayer and it will be over before you know it. :hug3:

You'll be fine! :)

Yes, I was nervous on my first one too... it's not comfortable, but it shouldn't hurt.

It'll be over before you know it..

It's not the most pleasant thing in the world, but it is over pretty quickly. Tell the doctor it's your first pap smear and ask for the small kit as suggested above. Just breath deeply a couple times and try to relax, the whole thing goes faster and easier when you relax

Good Luck and you'll be fine.

I do remember my first and it wasn’t exactly pleasant but not horrible either.

Let me put it this way, I’d rather have a pap than have my teeth cleaned – it hurts a heck of a lot less and it’s over much more quickly. The speculum comes in various sizes and they will generally use the smallest they have available.

Thank you all, i feel so much better... I'll let you know how it goes!! Haha.

You will be fine. My ob keeps all the instruments in a warmer so they're not freezing when she uses them. That really helps make it more comfortable.

I hope this went okay for you today. I highly recommned a female doctor, not just for the fact that she can relate more w/you psychically, but let's just say they tend to have smaller hands, a more delicate touch, and at least where I'm concerned, that helps tremendously. I switched years ago from a practice w/all male doctors to all female doctors and the difference was striking. I didn't think I would like the "all-women" crew, but when it comes to the part where you find yourself saying, "ya know how...." and they actually DO "know how"...it's really nice. And I'm not trying to be crude, but there's a certain part of the exam where the size of the hands really does make a difference.
I'm not saying there aren't some great male ob/gyn's out there but if it didn't go well for you today, or you were uncomfortable physically, that might be an option. ;)

I had my first pap smear last year before we got married, and I was nervous like you are. And I was even going to a male OB-GYN! It's uncomfortable, and as a virgin, was mildly painful. Just tell your doctor that you've never had a pap smear done before, and if you have not had sex. They'll know what that means and will explain what happens and will be more gentle.

A few tips...Relax, and focus on relaxing your muscles. Breathe--take long, deep breaths during the exam. And most importantly, find a doctor whom you trust and who makes you feel comfortable.

FYI, after the first time, it is demystified and not so scary. I just had my second exam last week, after about a year of marriage, and it was totally painless and not awkward at all. Being married has totally shifted my understanding of modesty, and I mean that in a good, healthy way.

I'm curious how far into your visit you got before you were asked, "and what kind of birth control are you using?" Especially considering this was your first visit. Every year, I don't even make it past the nurses station before I'm asked. And at my last exam, when I said, like always, "We use NFP", the nurse actually widened her eyes and said, "ooooo-kaaaayyyy"....as if to say, "whatever THAT is".... and the doctors still try too, especially b/c I have 3 kids now. It's like they're saying, "you need to get a hold of yourself - that's 3 whole kids!" But at the same time, start talking cervical mucus w/them and they're all impressed how much you know about your own body...like they're thinking, "wow, you're really NOT an idiot even though you refuse to take the bc pill. Amazing." :p

[quote="tampagrl, post:10, topic:177403"]
I'm curious how far into your visit you got before you were asked, "and what kind of birth control are you using?" Especially considering this was your first visit. Every year, I don't even make it past the nurses station before I'm asked. And at my last exam, when I said, like always, "We use NFP", the nurse actually widened her eyes and said, "ooooo-kaaaayyyy"....as if to say, "whatever THAT is".... and the doctors still try too, especially b/c I have 3 kids now. It's like they're saying, "you need to get a hold of yourself - that's 3 whole kids!" But at the same time, start talking cervical mucus w/them and they're all impressed how much you know about your own body...like they're thinking, "wow, you're really NOT an idiot even though you refuse to take the bc pill. Amazing." :p

[/quote]

That would not be fun to deal with, tampagrl. Are there any NFP-only OB-GYNs in your area?

I have a great NFP-only doc who takes my infertility issues seriously and is very careful about following Catholic teaching in both diagnosing and treating women's health issues.

But NFP-only docs can create their own kind of awkwardness. When he was examining me last week he asked, "Are you close to your peak? This is incredible peak-type mucus...Look, we're talking 4-6 inches of stretch" and he held it up so I could see! :eek::blush:

The nurse was cracking up. He really likes his job! LOL

My first pap smear was with a male doctor and i didn't feel a thing! He knew I was not sexually active and was very gentle.

As someone who has a multitude of female problems I've had more pelvic exams than I care to mention, as well as vaginal ultrasounds, etc. The key is to keep your legs wide open and relaxed, this relaxes the muscles in and around the vaginal area, hence making it NOT painful. Once I learned this trick, I don't ever feel a thing.

I would rather go to the OB than the dentist any day!

I would be curious to know what's it all about. I've never had one and honestly if I do have cancer I'd rather not know.

Haha, well my fiance had come in with me, but was sitting in the waiting room, so the first question i got asked was “you guys haven’t popped out any kids yet, right?” Me “nooooo.” And then a few minutes later they asked how long we have been married hahaha. But yeah, as they were weighing me and taking blood pressure they were asking what birth control I was on, and I said i wasn’t on any… and one of the nurses was like “oh, trying to conceive?” Me “No, I want to finish school before we start thinking about children” (i am a year away from my nursing degree) and she’s like “well get on birth control then!!! or you’ll never finish school!!!”

Its amazing how everyone just assumes that because I am a young 21-year-old that I am sexually active and am stupid for not being on the pill. I told them that /IF/ i was to have sex, I knew my body well and had NFP down (i know when i’m fertile), and they just stared and after a long pause asked if we use condoms… its like they didn’t even hear what i said. I was like, “do you not get it!!!”

But it was a military hospital… and he was in uniform, we’re young… they probably just made assumptions based on what they usually see…

[quote="Rach620, post:11, topic:177403"]
That would not be fun to deal with, tampagrl. Are there any NFP-only OB-GYNs in your area?

I have a great NFP-only doc who takes my infertility issues seriously and is very careful about following Catholic teaching in both diagnosing and treating women's health issues.

But NFP-only docs can create their own kind of awkwardness. When he was examining me last week he asked, "Are you close to your peak? This is incredible peak-type mucus...Look, we're talking 4-6 inches of stretch" and he held it up so I could see! :eek::blush:

[/quote]

That made me laugh so hard!!! I think i would have been very embarrassed!

[quote="Rach620, post:9, topic:177403"]
I had my first pap smear last year before we got married, and I was nervous like you are. And I was even going to a male OB-GYN! It's uncomfortable, and as a virgin, was mildly painful. Just tell your doctor that you've never had a pap smear done before, and if you have not had sex. They'll know what that means and will explain what happens and will be more gentle.

A few tips...Relax, and focus on relaxing your muscles. Breathe--take long, deep breaths during the exam. And most importantly, find a doctor whom you trust and who makes you feel comfortable.

FYI, after the first time, it is demystified and not so scary. I just had my second exam last week, after about a year of marriage, and it was totally painless and not awkward at all. Being married has totally shifted my understanding of modesty, and I mean that in a good, healthy way.

[/quote]

I'm glad the second time was better for you!

It’s really not too bad, especially once you have children b/c pretty much all your modesty & dignity go out the window when that happens! LOL But if you’re not sexually active (not married) then there’s really no reason for one, despite what friends may tell you. If you have a hx of cancer in your family, then you may want to start getting them once you’re in your 20’s regardless of whether or not you’re married, but considering you’ve said you wouldn’t want to know if you had cancer, then that’s a mute point for you. As part of the exam, they also give you a breast exam and just talk to you about general issues relating to how you’re doing in all “those” areas…i.e. if intercourse was painful for you, etc… Now, having said all that, you should see a GYN if you have issues w/your cycle - debilitating cramps or skipping months, as that could be a sign of a possible infertility issue.

[quote="Rach620, post:11, topic:177403"]

[/quote]

:eek: I would've been soooo mortified! LOL! The would have def. been one of those pull the sheet over my head moments....like, um, 'scuuuse me, could you stop playing w/my mucus and get back to work?! :D
No, no NFP drs around me, I've looked. They all know about it, but they don't promote it...that would seriously cut into the sale of the bc pill, which creates it's own issues and keeps women coming back for office visits..... I do, however, take NFP fliers or tracks w/me to the office whenever I have an appt. and just leave them laying "randomly" on the couch or in the magazine baskets. ;)

The sad thing is that they really don’t get it. I get the condom question all the time, too, right after I say “NFP”. To be fair, a lot of the nurses or medical assistants may not have heard about NFP or understand what it is. You say NFP, they hear “Rhythm Method”, so you could always use those oh so special moments during intake to share NFP :smiley:

They don’t understand that the reasons behind NFP are so much more profound than just a sense of “security” in avoiding a pregnancy. Most do not understand or even give any real thought to what the bc pill is or does to our bodies. There’s one med. asst. at my dr.'s office that’s little miss “all-natural”, herbal medicine all the way, take your supplements & hug a tree kind of person, yet she’s the first one to boast proudly how she throws back her bc pill every morning w/her coffee. I mean… :rolleyes:…

Glad everything went well... as well as to be expected...

wait until you have kids ...

are you having a tubal? they will ask 100 times....ugh!

and also by then you drop your knees like no big deal, you could probably give yourself the pap smear and eventually get tired of them drawing blood that you just lay out your arm and say go for it....

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.