Papacy in the Early Church?

Was the Office of the Papacy and its authority present in the Early Church?

We have letters from early popes.

The office of Papacy was established by Jesus. So my answer is yes. :yup:

Remember, the Kingdom of God, the Church, is like a mustard seed. So yes, the Papacy was there, but it may have been a little less conspicuous, what with the popes needing to worry about being martyred and all.

How many of the first popes were martyred?

Notworthy

I may have voted “wrong” by saying no, but I guess my way of explaining it would be that the papacy as a title wasn’t there with Peter, but the authority of theBishop of Rome was certainly there from the beginning of the church, it just gained the title of Papacy/Pope later.

Of course it was present. And of course it was not identical in all respects to the modern papacy. The interesting question is whether all the changes constitute legitimate development or not. That’s what Protestants and Orthodox deny.

Edwin

The Papacy was there in the Early Church, Peter was prime and emphasized on his primacy. Many of the Popes after him did not have any writings such as St. Linus and St. Anacletus and more. St. Clement of Rome was the first after St. Peter to have some preserved writings and he also exercised his primacy and authority. The Papacy was held in the West, while in the East they were Geographically isolated a bit, but still knew about the papacy.

[quote=Contarini]Of course it was present. And of course it was not identical in all respects to the modern papacy. The interesting question is whether all the changes constitute legitimate development or not. That’s what Protestants and Orthodox deny.

Edwin
[/quote]

Correction: That’s what SOME Protestants and Orthodox deny.

A LOT of others deny Peter’s office entirely.

Notworthy

P.S. “Hmm, let’s see, Catholics believe there’s a Pope, so WE believe there is no Pope”. Yeah, that’s it.

St. Irenaeus of Lyons in 175AD gave a list of popes from Peter all the way up to his time (there were 12 of them). Here is a link so you can read it. newadvent.org/fathers/0103303.htmThis list is exactly the order and names as the Church uses today!

[quote=Contarini]Of course it was present. And of course it was not identical in all respects to the modern papacy. The interesting question is whether all the changes constitute legitimate development or not. That’s what Protestants and Orthodox deny.

Edwin
[/quote]

What are some of these changes?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.