papal chaplain

Can anyone (Karl!) tell me what a papal chaplain is/ does? I found out a couple days ago, my previous, beloved priest was appointed papal chaplain to Pope Paul VI.

SFX

[quote=SFX]Can anyone (Karl!) tell me what a papal chaplain is/ does? I found out a couple days ago, my previous, beloved priest was appointed papal chaplain to Pope Paul VI.

SFX
[/quote]

There are attached to the pope’s chapel, various grades of chaplains. Papal chaplains are those who assist the pontiff at the altar when he celebrates Mass, and are assisted by the honorary private chaplains, who minister directly to the pope only occasionally. There are also the private clerics of the chapel, the common chaplains and the supernumerary chaplains. Honorary chaplains “outside the city” are those who assist the pope only when he is outside Rome. The honorary private chaplains were instituted by Pope Clement XII; the common chaplains by Pope Alexander VII.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.