Papal Crucifix

I am currently writing an article for my web site addressing some of the more hysterical claims made by anti-Catholics that the Pope‘s crucifix which he carries on his staff is a satanic symbol of the anti-Christ… Many of these web sites have quoted from Piers Compton’s The Broken Cross: Hidden Hand In the Vatican:

This Bent Crucifix is “… a sinister symbol, used by Satanists in the sixth century, that had been revived at the time of Vatican Two. This was a bent or broken cross, on which was displayed a repulsive and distorted figure of Christ, which the black magicians and sorcerers of the Middle Ages had made use of to represent the Biblical term ‘Mark of the Beast’. Yet, not only Paul VI, but his successors, the two John-Pauls, carried that object and held it up to be revered by crowds, who had not the slightest idea that it stood for anti-Christ.”

As of yet I have be unable to find information on the history and origin of the Papal crucifix. If any of you have information on this I would be grateful if you would pass it alone to me.

PAX CHRISTI

You’ll find limited information on the origin of Pope John Paul II’s pastoral staff here.

For detailed information on the history of the crozier, go here.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.