Papal encylicals

I was wondering, are Papal encyclails Ex Catheda (or whatever phrase thats soppused to be, I think its Ex Catheda) or are the something else?

[quote=Montie Claunch]I was wondering, are Papal encyclails Ex Catheda (or whatever phrase thats soppused to be, I think its Ex Catheda) or are the something else?
[/quote]

Certain portions of papal encyclicals might be ex cathedra, but not the entire thing (unless the Pope makes it clear that it is all ex cathedra).

**NOTHING **that a Pope says is ex-Cathedra unless the Pope makes this distinction absolutely clear at the time.

It is possible that the Ordinary (or Extrodinary) Magesterium may later formally define a particular Papal statement as infallable, but that is not ex-Cathedra (which, by definition, must be defined as infallable by the Pope himself).

It is extremely rare for a Pope to teach ex-Cathedra. Pope John Paul II, for example, never once taught ex-Cathedra, even though he reigned far longer and wrote and said far more than most popes.

[quote=Montie Claunch]I was wondering, are Papal encyclails Ex Catheda (or whatever phrase thats soppused to be, I think its Ex Catheda) or are the something else?
[/quote]

You are equating Ex Cathedra and Infallible. All Ex Cathedra teachings are Infallible. However all Infallible teachings are NOT Ex Cathedra. Papal documents such as Encyclicals, Apostolic Letters, Apostolic Exhortations, etc. They contain infallible teaching but are not wholly Infallible themselves. Generally they are part of the Ordinary Magisterium.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.