Papal Mass for Cohabitating Couples

I just read an article in the Catholic Review that Our Holy Father, Pope Francis, will preside at a Papal Mass and wedding ceremony for couples who have been cohabitating and couples who already have children.

The article went on to say “while cohabitating is not in itself a canonical impediment to marriage, it is contrary to the church’s teaching on marriage and sexual love.”

I am completely confused by this latest news from Rome. I have always been taught that a man and woman living together outside of marriage are committing the sin of fornication. Why, all of a sudden, is this not still a fact?:confused:

Nothing is said in the long article about these couples going to Confession and repenting for this (IMHO) terrible sin.

Is the Catholic Church I grew up with now changing its policy on marriage. Is it now okay to just “live together” and forget about it?:shrug:

Very soon I am afraid we will hear that same sex marriage is now permitted in the Catholic Church.:eek:

:knight1:

I would appreciate some reasonable answers, please.

Neither of these things will happen if by living together you mean fornicating. Without reading the article, it’s hard to formulate a response to you other than it is impossible for the Church to say fornication or same sex activity is now “permitted.” Will never happen. It cannot ever happen.

Cohabiting is not an impediment, perhaps meaning that a couple that has cohabited has not forfeited their ability to get married. That statement is true. There are really no sins of themselves that could permanently disqualify someone from marriage. But again, need to see article.

Just because the article does not specifically say that the couples went to Confession, doesn’t mean they didn’t.

I think this is the article:
catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/1403766.htm

Here is the full paragraph containing the OP’s quote:*While cohabitation is not in itself a canonical impediment to marriage, it is contrary to the church’s teaching on marriage and sexual love. The church urges that pastoral ministers help couples preparing for marriage by showing them the witness of Christian family life in such a way as they may regularize their situation before their wedding ceremony.*I think the second half of that paragraph indicates that the couple needs to work at correcting their cohabiting ways before the wedding. It does not sound like an endorsement of fornication at all.

It says nothing about their need to change their ways. It states that Pope Francis will preside at a wedding ceremony in a Papal Mass for cohabitating couples and couples with children.

So, are you saying that, if people have been cohabiting, that permanently disqualifies them from getting married? How strange! We should be thankful that they have decided to change their lives and get married.

It most certainly does. “Regularize their situation” means just that: get married, and before doing so, proper preparation by refraining from fornication and repenting, and in applicable cases, obtaining a decree of nullity from previous putative marriages. Fornication most certainly still is a sin; whether in the context of cohabitation it is mortal or not depends on the degree of knowledge of the couple. Someone who is new to Catholicism won’t have the same degree of culpability as a well-catechized Catholic who simply chose to ignore Church doctrine.

So the cohabiting couples will get married. Alleluia! That’s exactly what “regularizing” their situation means, with proper preparation beforehand. It’s in everyone’s best interest that the family as the foundational unit of our society be taken seriously, and the glue that holds the family together is the sacrament of matrimony. While there are impediments to marriage, cohabiting of having children out of wedlock aren’t.

No scandal here folks. Move along.

cohabitating is a sin, it’s just not a impediment to marriage (unless one of the partners in divorced without annulment). The way to fix co-habitation is by going to confession and getting married.

Nothing is said in the long article about these couples going to Confession and repenting for this (IMHO) terrible sin.

Is the Catholic Church I grew up with now changing its policy on marriage. Is it now okay to just “live together” and forget about it?:shrug:

Each would have to go to confession. Confession is part of the process. The confession would most likely happen right before the marriage (same day and/or previous days).

Very soon I am afraid we will hear that same sex marriage is now permitted in the Catholic Church.:eek:

SSM is not going to ever be permitted. This whole article is NOTHING to worry about.

So no need to worry. But if you are still concerned, please post the article so we can pick it apart for you.

Last I checked, being a sinner was not something that barred anyone from the sacraments…even you! We are all sinners and for you to infer that these people are unrepentant is a bit much.

For you to assume the church is changing its teaching is extremely scandalous and denies the Holy Spirit’s protection over our dogmas. It denies the church its supreme mandate from God himself, and it strips our church from Divine to man made.

I would seriously not fret so.

I just read the article, what a beautiful way to reunite with the Church. Hopefully, after being married by the Pope, these Catholics remain Faithful.

Well, mortal sin does, if you haven’t confessed them yet.

Well, a few sins can disqualify you from marriage, such as castrating yourself. According to Canon Law, you have to be able to have sex in order to get married.

Priests who refuse to marry cohabitating couples are probably violating canon law.

Canon lawyer Ed Peters, a critic of canonical form for marriage, suggests an interesting reform that the synod on the family can take up. Abolish the requirement of canonical form. Two baptized abortionists want to get married while bungee jumping? The Church will recognize that. But if you want to get married by a Catholic priest or in a Catholic church or within Mass, you will have to abide by some stricter conditions which steer couples in the right direction.

An “Impediment to marriage” is a technical term meaning that something makes marriage impossible between two people:

1. Being brother and sister is an impediment to the church marrying a man and worman who are brother and sister.
  2. Having taken religious vows is an impediment to marriage - a priest or religious may not be married by the church (apart from a dispensation from those vows).
  3. there are many others, as well, where the church will refuse marriage.

In this case, cohabitation by itself (where no actual impediments to marriage exist, such as one party already being married to someone else), is not a grounds for refusing two people being married by the church with the sacrament of Matrimony (and, thereby granting them legitimacy in their union, rather than the illegitimacy they have presumed for themselves up to now). It is not granting them legitimacy in their current union, but moving them into a new union that is legitimate in the eyes of God and the Church.

While the church does not accept cohabitation as legitimate, it will still marry the two people rather than telling them they can never be married to each other after cohabiting.

If there were an impediment, the church would not marry them.

John Martin

knit picky!! :wink: I did qualify my statement by saying the part about repentant sin.

I don’t think you are on the same wavelength as some of us here. If you really think that living together before marriage is the worst sin humans can commit, then you won’t understand all of the comments above mine either. Here we are on the anniversary of 9/11 and you are obsessed with sexual sin. Good for Papa Francis for reaching out to those couples who want to marry, even if they are living together or have children.:shrug:

:thumbsup:

Cohabitation is seen as “living in sin.” Is it possible to go to confession, move out of the house or apartment for a few days or weeks, and then get married?

Even if one is divorced-without-annulment, cohabitation is not an impediment to marriage; The prior bond is an impediment to marriage.

:thumbsup:
tee

You don’t always have to move out of the home. Just out of the bed. In some instances, (for example if one is not Catholic and they have children) the priest may take a confession from the Catholic before pre-Cana, and then take another confession on the day of the wedding or night before.

Well, mortal sin does, if you haven’t confessed them yet.
[/quote]

Does mortal sin bar one from the sacraments? Or does it impede the full graces of the sacrament until it is absolved? (One does certainly commit a sacrilege by approaching the sacraments in a state of mortal sin*)

(* Reconciliation aside)

tee

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.