Papal prerogatives

Dear Latin Catholic brothers and sisters,

I am a Coptic Catholic who would like your input on my belief about the papacy. I am open to correction, so I hope you can help me out.

I believe that:

The Pope has immediate jurisdiction ONLY over his own Patriarchal Church on all matters regarding faith and discipline; his jurisdiction regarding discipline in other Patriarchal Churches is NOT immediate. Only in matters of universal Faith and morals and in the enforcement of a UNIVERSAL canon does the Pope have immediate jurisiction over all Churches. Further, the Pope also has ordinary jurisdiction over all Churches; but the exercise of this jurisdiction is EXTRAordinary.

Please let me know what you think as reflected in the poll and your comments. Since I want to guage my belief according to the Catholic understanding, I would appreciate it if non-Catholics do NOT participate in the poll, but you are welcome to reply with comments.

Blessings,
Marduk

I would like all my Latin-rite brothers and sisters IN COMMUNION WITH THE BISHOP OF ROME to participate in a like-titled poll in the the Eastern Christianity Forum. You can access it here:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=185817

PLEASE, I beg you to read through the WHOLE thread before voting, because the initial statement of my belief requires explanation which is forthcoming in the rest of the thread.

Blessings,
Marduk

From what I can tell, what you said is correct. The only time a pope “steps in” is when there are disputes between Patriarchal Sees. Also as you said, anything defined as a dogma is binding on all Catholics everywhere.

BUMP

SET

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.