Papal Sins

I was at Books-A-Million,looking at the religous books and came across the book Papal Sins. I looked at the back of the book and the back read like this: The papacy had sin and was corupt overtly in the past centiries but, it is still doing horried things though it is being more subtle with it.
I was wondering if anyone knew about this? What is he talking about? Is he just making stuff up to just slam the Catholic Church?

If I remember right, Gary Wills is in the same camp as Fr. McBrien and is on the very progressive side. I would avoid him just as I avoiud McBrien.

PF

[quote=Montie Claunch]I was at Books-A-Million,looking at the religous books and came across the book Papal Sins. I looked at the back of the book and the back read like this: The papacy had sin and was corupt overtly in the past centiries but, it is still doing horried things though it is being more subtle with it.
I was wondering if anyone knew about this? What is he talking about? Is he just making stuff up to just slam the Catholic Church?
[/quote]

I haven’t read this book, but there are many examples of corrupt popes in history. Two things to remember: pointing out that there were corrupt and sinful (some downright licentious) popes isn’t wrong nor is it an attack on the Church (though sometimes those who harp on it may hope that it will be). The Church is immpeccable and will be held so by Christ as His Spotless Bride. Also, none of the “bad” old popes attempted to change the dogmas of the Church. They just lead personally reprehensible lives.

[quote=WanderAimlessly]If I remember right, Gary Wills is in the same camp as Fr. McBrien and is on the very progressive side. I would avoid him just as I avoiud McBrien.

PF
[/quote]

Gary Wills is so far over the edge, that he makes Fr. McBrien look conservative. He is out of his depth in this book, and seems to be writing out of anger and not reality.

It’s a shame, really. He once was a reputable historian.

Gary Wills is the LAST person you should be consulting for any information about the Church. Yes, there have been some lousy popes: maybe about a dozen. Not bad in 2000 years, especially when compared to any monarchy (none of which have survived as long as the Church has).

Depart from me, Lord, for I am a sinful man.[indent][indent]- St. Peter, first Pope.

[/indent][/indent]I have prayed for you, that your faith may not fail.[indent][indent]- Jesus

[/indent][/indent]

[quote=David Zampino]Gary Wills is so far over the edge, that he makes Fr. McBrien look conservative. He is out of his depth in this book, and seems to be writing out of anger and not reality.

It’s a shame, really. He once was a reputable historian.
[/quote]

Is Gary Wills (still) Catholic?

I f I remember correctly, Fr. McBrien still wears his collar. Correct?

[quote=mark a]Is Gary Wills (still) Catholic?

I f I remember correctly, Fr. McBrien still wears his collar. Correct?
[/quote]

Peace be with you!

I don’t believe Richard McBrien (I refuse to call him “Father”) wears his collar or celebrates Mass anymore. At least, in every picture I’ve seen of him he isn’t wearing any kind of priestly attire.

In Christ,
Rand

I’ve not bothered with Papal Sins. I did however peruse through “Why I am A Catholic” by Wills. It boiled my blood. Mostly opinions and criticism of the church without any charity. I doubt the integrity of the history also. When he called the encyclicals ‘an exercise in triviality’ I realized that the book is completely devoid of any intellectual honesty.

In regard to the trash that catholics put out scandalously in the past 2000 years, this is nothing new for this is a church comprised of sinners trying to become saints. To continue harping on these things with nothing but negative light is tantamount to bad gossip.

I consider the church my home and my family, I know there’s many shameful events and I don’t deny them or condone them, but to speak badly of my own mother’s faults is lack of love. I’d rather help build on the virtues and do my small part in keeping the sacred holy and cleansing the stained parts where I may.

in XT.

in XT.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.