Papal titles question

The pope has myriad honorary titles in addition to Bishop of Rome, Patriarch of the West, Vicar of Christ, etc. I was unable to find the list in the Catholic Encyclopedia.

What I am wondering specifically is if he is an apostle of some variety, as one of his titles.

[quote=Digitonomy]The pope has myriad honorary titles in addition to Bishop of Rome, Patriarch of the West, Vicar of Christ, etc. I was unable to find the list in the Catholic Encyclopedia.

What I am wondering specifically is if he is an apostle of some variety, as one of his titles.
[/quote]

“Successor to the Prince of the Apostles”

Thank you, I thought the word was in there somewhere. I was a bit alarmed when it occurred to me - how did the pope become an apostle? - but the title you name is perfectly appropriate.

Do you have a cite?

[quote=Digitonomy]Thank you, I thought the word was in there somewhere. I was a bit alarmed when it occurred to me - how did the pope become an apostle?
[/quote]

He didn’t. Peter was the Prince of the Apostles. The Pope is Peter’s successor. That doesn’t make the Pope an Apostle (any more than Titus or Timothy were Apostles, even though they were both Paul’s successors).

[quote=Digitonomy]Thank you, I thought the word was in there somewhere. I was a bit alarmed when it occurred to me - how did the pope become an apostle? - but the title you name is perfectly appropriate.

Do you have a cite?
[/quote]

Last I saw, it was in an encyclopedia.

[quote=Digitonomy]Thank you, I thought the word was in there somewhere. I was a bit alarmed when it occurred to me - how did the pope become an apostle? - but the title you name is perfectly appropriate.

Do you have a cite?
[/quote]

From the Holy See website:
vatican.va/news_services/press/documentazione/documents/sp_ss_scv/insigne/sp_ss_scv_stemma-bandiera-sigillo_en.html

The Latin version of the title *(Principis Apostolorum Successor) * occurs in some documents.

Many thanks, severinus.

[quote=Digitonomy]Many thanks, severinus.
[/quote]

You’re welcome. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.