Papal titles.

From here…
ccel.org/ccel/white/controversy.xlv.html
I found this…
Titles.—In a passage which is included in the Roman Catholic Canon Law, or Corpus Juris Canonici, Pope Innocent III declares that the Roman pontiff is “the vicegerent upon earth, not of a mere man, but of very God;” and in a gloss on the passage it is explained that this is because he is the vicegerent of Christ, who is “very God and very man.” See Decretales Domini Gregorii Papae IX (Decretals of the Lord Pope Gregory IX), liber 1, de translatione Episcoporum, (on the transference of Bishops), title 7, ch. 3; Corpus Juris Canonici (2d Leipzig ed., 1881), col. 99; (Paris, 1612), tom. 2, Decretales, col. 205. The documents which formed the Decretals were gathered by Gratian, who was teaching at the University of Bologna about the year 1140. His work was added to and re-edited by Pope Gregory IX in an edition issued in 1234. Other documents appeared in succeeding years from time to time including the Extravagantes, added toward the close of the fifteenth century. All of these, with Gratian’s Decretum, were published as the Corpus Juris Canonici in 1582. Pope Pius X authorized the codification in Canon law in 1904, and the resulting code became effective in 1918.

So what I am understanding is Innocentlll made this bold claim, and it has never been rejected…

Troubling?

What bothers you about the concept that the pope is the vicegerent (had to look that one up!) of Christ?

I’m going to take a look at it. I do think you are taken this out of context.

**“the vicegerent upon earth, not of a mere man, **but of very God;”

Martin,

The pope is the administrative deputy (vicegerent) of Christ. Christ is not a mere man, but very God.

Make sense?

Yes, the Bishop of Rome, the Pope, is the vicegerent of Christ. This is almost the same as his title of Vicar of Christ.

What do all these titles mean?

Jesus Christ is like the sheriff, the Bishop of Rome is the deputy. Jesus Christ is King, the Bishop of Rome is like the Prime Minister. Peter is the Price of the Apostles, but only because our Lord, King of kings, made him so.

Thank you Lord for the guidance you have given us! :slight_smile:

Thats not what it says… but okay I guess.

That title doesn’t say the Pope is God nor does it say that he is equal to God.

It means administrative Duty just as the others say. It does say that Christ is not your normal man, but Christ is God himself.

It does appear as though you are using a substantial amount of leeway in your definition.

two commas and a semicolon… But no indication the Pope is speaking of God as opposed to himself.

“When the crowd saw this, they were filled with awe; and they praised God, who had given such authority to men.” (Matthew 9:8)

How can anyone be their own deputy?

Let it go. This just doesn’t mean what you want it to mean no matter which way you slice it.

Randy,
C’mon, the “men” being referred to in this sentence is Christ… I fear you are making the same mistake as Innocentlll

I get that an awful lot round here’ why is that?

I don’t want it to mean anything, but like ligouri and the 1 pope whom called Mary omnipotent… These are some very suspect statements from guys whom are able to give infallible statements on faith and morals.:rolleyes:

Have you read the entire full context of the document? I know the resource where you got it from and it is not the full context.

No…that is exactly what it says Simon.

The viceregent of God. Simple as that.

not viceregent
vicegerent
2 very different words

So you think the Pope accidentally confused himself with God? C’mon.

So if I call myself the servant of no mere man, but of God, do you think:

1. I’m calling myself the servant of God.

or

1. I’m calling myself a servant that happens to be composed of God.

DeFide you 2 are using the definition of viceregent as opposed to vicegerent

Ah-hem:

Vicegerent is the official administrative deputy of a ruler or head of state. (Latin: vice (in place of) + gerens (governing).)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vicegerent

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.