Parables for God dwelling in us?

Dear All:
I am looking for help with the parables in the Holy Bible that mention and explain God’s dwelling in us.
I can think of a few, but hopefully you will give me as many as possible.
Examples: Temples of the Holy Spirit, and Streams of Living Waters.

THANKS

I can’t think of parables, but in a quick Internet search I see in the letters of St. Paul there are several references to God dwelling in us, and in the diary of St. Faustina many references to Jesus dwelling in her heart.

The Parable of the Sower could perhaps be understood as such. According to Jesus’ own explanation, the seed is the word. Does that mean the Word as in Jesus, or simply the word as in the gospel? Perhaps both.

Also not thinking of parables from Jesus-- a lot of his focus is more on “The Kingdom of God”, which is more of our place in a community and our relationships with God and each other, rather than stressing an individual’s internal relationship with God-- but you might read a few chapters of “The Interior Castle”, which is very much about God’s dwelling in us, and how we slowly discover more and more about it as our relationship with God progresses through its stages.

I agree that “parables” is not exactly what you’re mentioning here.

The whole definition of a temple, in the ancient Greek world, was a place where a god dwelled. The word that Paul uses, “naos,” is specifically the inner room of a Greek temple where the god’s statue was, and which the god was supposed to possess or even use as a body at times. (So a naos was very comparable to the Holy of Holies in the Jerusalem Temple.)

If you’re a Christian, God dwells within you. So the only figurative thing about calling us “temple” or even “naos” is that we’re not buildings. But since the ideal of a Jewish Temple was a temple with walls made of natural stones, not sculpted by human hands… well, we’re natural objects made by God, too.

Living water flowing out of a spring, watering the whole land, was another feature of the ideal Jerusalem Temple. That’s what Jesus was talking about, when He brought up “living water” coming out of us, and He was referring to eternal life from God. But you notice that it doesn’t just stay within us – it is supposed to make other people alive also.

There’s a whole lot of theology research going on right now, on the subject of the Heavenly Temple, Jesus as a sort of ultimate Temple, the members of the Body of Christ as temples, Eden’s relationship to the Temple, and so on. It’s pretty neat stuff. Scott W. Smith is doing some good stuff. He had a podcast called Solomon’s Porch for a while that was working through his academic book about it, and I think he’s got some helpful PDF summaries online.

“He told them another parable: "The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed, which a man took and planted in his field. Though it is the smallest of all seeds, yet when it grows, it is the largest of garden plants and becomes a tree, so that the birds come and perch in its branches.”

• Matthew 13:31-32

The littlest instance of faith or acceptance or promotion of faith through a good intention can have the hugest outcomes. Christ grows in us in new and mysterious ways that starts with the smallest possible instant

I am the OP.
I missed used the word “parable.”
I should have said, any explanation of God dwelling in our soul, heart or mind.
Thank you for all of the help so far.
I would image there will be much more.
Again, thank you!

Any further help?

Thank you so much!

You might try reading the first two or three chapters of Interior Castle and see if it gives you anything that you can connect with.

John 4:

13 Jesus answered and said to her, “Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again; 14 but whoever drinks the water I shall give will never thirst; the water I shall give will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”

John 14:

15 “If you love me, you will keep my commandments. 16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate to be with you always, 17 the Spirit of truth, which the world cannot accept, because it neither sees nor knows it. But you know it, because it remains with you, and will be in you.

John 14:23 Jesus answered and said to him, “Whoever loves me will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our dwelling with him."

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.