"Paradox free" time travel theoretically possible

Does that mean I could go back a week knowing last nights winning Powerball numbers and buy a ticket with the winning numbers, hmmmm.

1 Like

According to the article, if you tried to go back in time and buy a ticket, your car would get a flat tire on the way to the store, or the Powerball drawing would change, or something else would change to prevent a paradox. Your actually winning the Powerball drawing last week would remove the motivation for your younger self to travel back in time, which would be a paradox, and the authors state that things could always adjust to avoid a paradox.

2 Likes

This is making an assumption that Time is aware.

I very concerned about violating the Prime Directive.

2 Likes

I don’t understand how these things work even in theory but I’ve had flashes of images that came true soon after a few times in my life giving me the strong impression that something had happened in the fabric of the universe that allowed me to peek into what was coming along. I’ve also read that parapsychology researchers have found that nearly all people, something like 96% or thereabouts, have experienced some kind of paranormal event. Many would answer No if asked that directly, but if the question removed all reference to the paranormal and just asked about the direct experience, like precognition such as I’ve described, or experiencing the knowing of what was happening somewhere else etc etc, nearly all had a fascinating tale or two to tell. I don’t know how the cosmos works. I’m fascinated by my layman understanding of quantum physics and what is implied of the role of consciousness in the unfolding of physical events in the universe.

1 Like

From Einstein himself “Time travel” into THE FUTURE is indeed possible and real as the faster you get to the speed of light, the more time slows down, thus if you were to go around the universe that fast and come back to Earth, you would have aged “less.”
Now into the past, not so much, as Tenet and Back to the Future have brilliantly described the “Grandfather paradox”

1 Like

No, the Doctor just has to work overtime when people attempt to mess with history / time travel. Happens more than you’d think…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.