Pardon Crucifix indulgences

Are the indulgences of Pope St Pius X attached to the Pardon Crucifix still in force?

I’m not sure, I have read that those indulgences before the Paul VI reform are no longer in effect but I still see the Pardon Crucifix indulgences on several other soundly orthodox websites. I recently procured one and regardless if they are in effect I greatly enjoy it.

The Enchiridion of Indulgences published in 1968 states:

""The faithful, who devoutly use an article of devotion (crucifix or cross, rosary, scapular or medal) properly blessed by any priest, obtain a partial indulgence. “But if the article of devotion has been blessed by the Sovereign Pontiff or by any Bishop, the faithful, using it, can also gain a PLENARY INDULGENCE on the feast of the Holy Apostles, Peter and Paul, provided they also make a profession of faith according to any legitimate formula.”

and

“To the faithful in danger of death, who cannot be assisted by a priest to bring them the sacraments and impart the Apostolic Blessing with its plenary indulgence (see can. 468, Sec.2 of Code of Canon Law), Holy Mother Church nevertheless grants a plenary indulgence to be acquired at the point of death, provided they are properly disposed and have been in the habit of reciting some prayers during their lifetime. The use of a crucifix or a cross to gain this indulgence is praiseworthy.” The condition: ‘provided they have been in the habit of reciting some prayers during their lifetime’ supplies in such cases for the three usual conditions required for the gaining of a plenary indulgence." The plenary indulgence at the point of death can be acquired by the faithful, even if they have already obtained another plenary indulgence on the same day."

So even if the specific indulgences attached to the Pardon Crucifix are no longer in effect these above listed general indulgences are and ultimately accomplish the same goal.

It would seem rather the indulgences just mentioned would be what is current.

Pax et Bonum! Where can I read about the Pardon Crucifix Indulgence? Tks! angeltime[BIBLEDRB][/BIBLEDRB]

courageouspriest.com/the-pardon-crucifix

Pax et Bonum! thankyou so much; will check it out soon! angeltime:angel1:

The Church would have need to reissue the indulgences offered for the Pardon Crucifix when Indulgences were revised.

But yes certainly what is noted there is valid in general and can be related to the use of the Pardon Crucifix once it is blessed.

For it is a crucifix blessed by a Priest - and thus would have a partial indulgence with its pious use.

And the Church offers that Plenary Indulgence at the point of death as noted above - to which the Pious use of a Crucifix is praiseworthy (but not required). One may use this crucifix in that way.

Pax et Bonum! One can purchase “The Handbook of Indulgences - Norms and Grants” - not expensive and good to have on hand! angeltime[BIBLEDRB][/BIBLEDRB]

Yes :slight_smile:

Make sure to get the newer one from the USCCB

Peace…yes, I did and bought it in Canada from CCCB - thankyou! angeltime[BIBLEDRB][/BIBLEDRB]

Well…

I suppose you can do that too :slight_smile:

Pardon my ignorance (no pun intended), but what makes this Crucifix unique in its indulgence?

(I bought a Rosary from Carmelite nuns, and there was a pamphlet about the Pardon Crucifix indulgence. Until then, I had no idea what is was.)

Are all Crucifixes sacramentals or the ones blessed by a priest?

When the indulgences where in effect (back in the first part of last century) there were yes particular indulgences attached to the pious use of this crucifix (such as on special feasts etc).

Now it would seem that they were not renewed and the indulgences that would be in effect are the same as with any Blessed Crucifix.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.