Parental Alienation Syndrome

A phrase coined by Dr. (John?) Gardner and dealt with as a matter of LAW. This is what I’ve been going through. It usually occurs in divorce situations and is occurring as such for my son now. But it can also involve other third parties, in this case my mother, who also tried to alienate my husband from me at the very beginning. She did the same to my son shortly after he was born. See James Piedimonte, a lawyer in MO who deals with this situation.

The situation for the child is described as showing similarities to symptoms of torture. He has been going through it every which way. It is a classic example. Everything in the detailed profile fits this situation. I kept feeling I was losing my child to my mother and didn’t know what to do. She used mental institutions, got my husband on her side, used the court system. I felt so bewildered.

The child’s irrational hatred toward the alienated parent is part of the picture, and he is showing that to me now.

It is a complex and frightening picture. Please pray.

:frowning: I will pray for you and your family.

Lord, please heal lynnehelen’s son and help him to follow in your footsteps. May he pray and receive you worthily in the sacraments for deep union with you, healing and strength. Thank you, Lord, for hearing my prayer.

I arise today through God’s strength to pilot me,
God’s might to uphold me,
God’s wisdom to guide me,
God’s eye to look before me,
God’s ear to hear me,
God’s word to speak for me,
God’s hand to gaurd me,
God’s way to lie before me,
God’s shield to protect me,
God’s host to deliver me–
against snares of devils,
against temptations of vices,
against evil inclinations of nature,
against everyone who shall wish me ill,
afar and near,
alone and in a crowd.

I think this is what my family is experiencing since my 17 year old son has rejected all contact with me - his mom, as well as, my parents, relatives, step dad of 14 years, and his 12 year old half brother.

Stepdad and I raised him, sent him to Catholic school, and afforded him every opportunity to succeed in life. When he became 16, his bio dad gave him a car. It was at this time, that he began to show disrespect towards me and his stepdad. When stepdad intervened during one particularly disrespectful outburst, my son decided that he would go live with his bio dad. I asked bio dad for his support, however biodad was happy to support my son’s behaviour, since he told me years ago that he would take the children from me.

Over time, my son reduced contact with me and all of my side of the family to the point where he doesnt speak to any of us now. It’s been two years. His grandparents are also heart broken They did everything to support this child in life and nothing to deserve this treatment from him. I am sorry that I brought such pain to my parents.

It is a miracle that his half brother is not negatively affected - yet.

My son now also professes atheism like his bio dad.

I still cant believe this has happened. I thought my son was smart enough to see through all the games that biodad played.

So dissappointed and deeply hurt by this alienation and rejection but I know that God has a plan.

:gopray2:

still nothing

Praying for your intentions.

Orans pro omnibus

PATER NOSTER,
qui es in caelis,
sanctificetur nomen tuum.
Adveniat regnum tuum.
Fiat voluntas tua, sicut in caelo et in terra.
Panem nostrum quotidianum da nobis hodie,
et dimitte nobis debita nostra
sicut et nos dimittimus debitoribus nostris.
Et ne nos inducas in tentationem,
sed libera nos a malo. Amen.

Angels and Saints, please join us in praying for lynnehelen and her family.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee; blessed art thou amongst women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

:shrug:

Praying for you and your family
Our Father, Who art in heaven
Hallowed be Thy Name;
Thy kingdom come,
Thy will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
and forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us;
and lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil. Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace.
Our Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God,
pray for us sinners,
now and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, thy will be
done, on earth as it is in heaven Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our
trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us, and lead us not into temptation
but deliver us from evil. Amen

Hail Mary full of grace the Lord is with thee
blessed art thou among women and
blessed is the fruit of thy womb Jesus
Holy Mary mother of God pray for us
sinners now and at the hour of our death
Amen.

Glory Be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
As it was in the beginning is now ever shall be world without end

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.