Parenthood.......not parenting

Does anyone else feel they have a calling to parenthood? I know it’s not one of the traditional vocations the Church presents, but I feel it’s my calling. To raise children in the faith, try to send them to parochial school, teach them Catholic traditions. Single or married, I want to raise children whether or not I have a wife.:blush:

Yes! I felt strongly called also. We couldn't conceive, but were able to adopt two babies. We were foster parents for five years! Whom God calls, he equips. :)

[quote="mikeeh, post:1, topic:317676"]
Does anyone else feel they have a calling to parenthood? I know it’s not one of the traditional vocations the Church presents, but I feel it’s my calling. To raise children in the faith, try to send them to parochial school, teach them Catholic traditions. Single or married, I want to raise children whether or not I have a wife.:blush:

[/quote]

It is certainly not God's will that you have your own biological children outside of marriage. But I suppose if you feel a calling toward foster parenting or adoptive parenting and there is a need you can fill in a child's life, then God would help you in that endeavor. It is certainly preferable that children have two parents though, and even the civil authorities see the benefit in that, so I think it would be unlikely that you would be able to adopt as a single man.

[quote="aemcpa, post:3, topic:317676"]
It is certainly not God's will that you have your own biological children outside of marriage. But I suppose if you feel a calling toward foster parenting or adoptive parenting and there is a need you can fill in a child's life, then God would help you in that endeavor. It is certainly preferable that children have two parents though, and even the civil authorities see the benefit in that, so I think it would be unlikely that you would be able to adopt as a single man.

[/quote]

Agreed! I don't see why a single man wouldn't be able to adopt. There are thousands of kids starving for love that are open for adoption through the foster care system.

[quote="Evania, post:4, topic:317676"]
Agreed! I don't see why a single man wouldn't be able to adopt. There are thousands of kids starving for love that are open for adoption through the foster care system.

[/quote]

I don't think it's impossible, but two-parent homes can and should get preference. Of course, since there aren't nearly enough of those willing to make the sacrifice, it is better to have one parent than none.

Besides, the OP isn't resigned to being a single parent anyway. :-)

[quote="aemcpa, post:5, topic:317676"]
I don't think it's impossible, but two-parent homes can and should get preference. Of course, since there aren't nearly enough of those willing to make the sacrifice, it is better to have one parent than none.

Besides, the OP isn't resigned to being a single parent anyway. :-)

[/quote]

Agreed

Excellent. I really hope to adopt whether I’m single or married. I hear a lot of good things about being a foster parent.

Of course, my apologizes. I was referring to adoption and being a foster parent if I don’t get married. I mean even if I do get married I’d like to adopt. It is harder for single men to adopt, but there are so many children without parents that civil authorities make exceptions especially as the child gets older. Although, as a single man I’d be limited to only adopting boys.

[quote="mikeeh, post:7, topic:317676"]
Excellent. I really hope to adopt whether I'm single or married. I hear a lot of good things about being a foster parent.

Of course, my apologizes. I was referring to adoption and being a foster parent if I don't get married. I mean even if I do get married I'd like to adopt. It is harder for single men to adopt, but there are so many children without parents that civil authorities make exceptions especially as the child gets older. Although, as a single man I'd be limited to only adopting boys.

[/quote]

You've looked into it, I see. Very good.

Whether you wind up married or single, I hope that you are ready and willing to do God's will. Hopefully that involves being His instrument in the lives of children as seems to be your heart's desire.

Here are some potential resources for you:

National Council for Single Adoptive Parents
E-mail: [email]ncsap@hotmail.com[/email]
Web site: adopting.org/ncsap.html

Adoption Resource Exchange for Single Parents (ARESP)
301-585-5836
Web site: aresp.net
E-mail: [email]aresp@aresp.net[/email].

Single Parent Resource Center
31 E. 28th Street
New York, NY 10016
Web site: singleparentusa.com/

closed #10

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.