Parents forcing me to eat Meat on Ash Wednesday

What do I do? do I just starve for the day and don’t have dinner or what, I’m only 15 so not quite sure what to do.

This is sort of a weird question. So here’s sort of a weird answer:

1. How does someone force you to eat meat? Can’t you just eat the side dishes and skip the main course? Or are they literally cooking nothing but meat tomorrow?

2. Adults are supposed to fast on Ash Wednesday anyway. Not sure if 15 is old enough to count for that, but going hungry for a day certainly won’t kill you (as long as you don’t have any medical conditions).

3. If all else fails, listen to your parents. You’re still a minor, so they win. God understands.

I am guessing that you have anxiety issues and unnecessary drama with your parents. Be at peace. Quietly avoid meat if you can. Do not argue with your parents.

It says 14 and up, I don’t really have a medical condition more or less I just get fatigued/headaches but I can survive.

What do you mean by “forcing”?

You’re allowed to have small meals, so don’t feel like you have to avoid food altogether. But just grab a banana or a granola bar or something easy and meat free and your parents probably won’t even pay attention.

Speaking as we eat as a family and the dish we are having is meat orientated, kind of hard to go unnoticed.

Another thought - it’s a day of fasting anyway - so you could just skip dinner and eat your smaller snacks for breakfast and lunch.

As other users posted - you should be obedient to your parents, that’s the fourth commandment. Try to speak reasonably with them and listen to what they say.

Hope everything works out okay!

If my kids skipped a meal there would be a a scene.

I would say to TheHolyTrinity9 offer your obedience to your parents up.

obey your parents, don’t make a scene or drama; pick around the meat the best you can and don’t make a big deal about it

not worth a big drama/ fight

jesus knows what is in your heart

Fasting is 18 years and up. OP is 15.

Be obedient to your parents.
Eat only a small portion and offer this sacrifice - this suffering - up to Christ.

This - in my view - is the most loving path and therefore the correct one.

May god Bless you.

Peace
James

Of Course, In the end I managed to have fish instead and some vegetables. Tasted nice and felt good giving it up for God. Thanks people for the replies!

Most people don’t realise that we are not allowed to obey our parents or other lawful superiors if what they tell us to do is clearly sinful. We must obey all just and applicable laws of the Church and state.

OP, are you a convert and your parents protestant perchance? If they aren’t Catholic, they don’t know the dietary requirement for Ash Wednesday for Catholics. if they are Catholic, they should know better. Perhaps just make yourself a pb&j sandwich, mac abd cheese or tomato soup. Remind them its the first day of Lent, a day of Abstinence from Meat for those 14 and older.

And abstinence from meat begins at age 14. Fasting between meals is binding on all Catholics from age 21 to 59.
One cannot even eat soups, gravy etc. made of meat stock. God Bless, Memaw

Is there not some disagreement about gravies and soups?

That was the law under the 1917 code but is no longer the eccelsial law:

"Thus “soups made from meat” are now kosher on days of abstinence. "

More:

jimmyakin.com/2005/02/soups_redux.html

and

fatherdylanjames.blogspot.com/2011/08/what-counts-as-meat.html

and

ourladyofhope.net/can-i-eat-chicken-stock-on-friday-in-lent/

??? I do not understand this advice at all. Now, we know very little, but from what we have been told, the OP is a catholic and old enough such that abstinence rules apply. His parents are telling him to eat meat today. Based on only this information, the advice should be to not eat meat regardless of what the OP’s parents are saying. We have no obligation to obedience if we are told to do something immoral.

My advice is based on the title of the thread which indicated something more stringent than simply refusing to accommodate the OP’s dietary needs. It indicates something quite more severe.

Rules are all very fine and good…but circumstances can sometimes cause various rules to overlap or to contradict…and these are not always clearly black and white. In such cases one must measure matters against the law of Agape and attempt to choose the most loving path.

Jesus spoke strongly against placing the keeping of rules apart from the rule of Love. Hence he cured the withered hand on the Sabbath and made no complaint to the Apostles when they picked grain on the Sabbath.

It is good that the OP has told us s/he was able to eat some fish and so managed to keep the rule. So all is well.

Peace
James

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.