Parents getting divorced

I just learned today that my parents are getting a divorce :frowning:

this is very hard for me to deal with. My family has been through some hard times but I never expected this to happen. It’s almost happened a few times, but it seems now it’s for real.

For some reason, I feel kind of numb, like I don’t even want to talk about it with my friends, which is unusual, and I don’t have any brothers or sisters I could talk to.

What really makes me sad is how much anger there is at home and how my parents can’t seem to forgive each other. I’m scared about that… I’ve been praying for so long that we’d be a happy family, and go to church together, but my family never goes to church (I just go alone). I’ve been praying for a while for them to return to the Sacraments (they’re actually Eastern Orthodox, and I’m Catholic) but I don’ t know if it will happen now. I’m scared they’ll never forgive each other, to be honest.

I also don’t know what the future would be like… I was planning to move out soon, when I graduate, but now I dont know, cause mom would be alone. We don’t have any relatives living nearby… and I have no idea where the money is going to come from. I just feel really bad about everything. And my dad, he hates his job, but he stayed in it for the family, but now there won’t be a family. I don’t know what will happen to ANY of us.

I’m also worried about my relationship with my mom, she blamed me for a lot of what happened, and then told me that I’m reacting to this wrong, I should be happy that now there’ll be more peace, and that my prayers “won’t help me.” But I believe in prayer, and I’m praying. I just pray that even though my parents will be divorced, they’ll still forgive one another, and not hold on to any hatred or anger.

I’d appreciate prayers very much… I really don’t want to complain, but I don’t know who to say all this to, and I feel like my life’s so messed up right now, not only in terms of family but in many other ways either. Nothing is really going right… I feel like all I have is God, really. I’m glad He’s always with us :slight_smile:

thank you :hug1: and I’m sorry this got so long.

Your story makes me very sad because something similar almost happened in my family. From your description, you sound like a very loving son who cares about his parents. They are blessed to have you, although they may not see it now. Right now, all you can do is pray; and I suggest you continually pray for your mom and dad’s reconcillation to each other. Be the strength that your mom and dad can drawn from; and be steadfast in your faith. I will remember you and your family in my prayers.

Pater noster, qui es in caelis:
sanctificetur Nomen Tuum;
adveniat Regnum Tuum;
fiat voluntas Tua,
sicut in caelo, et in terra.
Panem nostrum cotidianum da nobis hodie;
et dimitte nobis debita nostra,
Sicut et nos dimittimus debitoribus nostris;
et ne nos inducas in tentationem;
sed libera nos a Malo.
Amen.

Áve María, grátia pléna,
Dóminus técum.
Benedícta tu in muliéribus,
et benedíctus frúctus véntris túi, Iésus.
Sáncta María, Máter Déi,
óra pro nóbis peccatóribus,
nunc et in hóra mórtis nóstrae.
Ámen.

God bless you,
Ben

thank you so much :slight_smile:

just one thing though :wink: I’m a daughter :slight_smile:

I used to have a sister, and if she were still here, I bet she will be just like you. You’re full of care and love.

May the Lord bless you greatly for being such a faithful daughter to your parents.

God bless!
Ben

thank you Ben :hug1: God bless you too.

Praying for you and your family, 4EverHis!

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death.
Amen

Father in Heaven please bless 4EverHis and her parents who are determined to divorce. Grant that they may be reconciled and that they may be able to be at peace with each other and their daughter. In Christ’s name. Amen.
A Pater Noster, Ave Maria , Oratio Fatimae and Gloria Patri.

Father please help our sister in this most worrying and emotional time for her.Grant her wisdom to know how best to help the situation with her parents that she may encourage the right outcome.Bestow her with blessings Lord and may she feel especially loved at this time.Please guide her parents through their emotional journey of possible divorce.If it ends in divorce Lord please soften their hearts that they will show unceasing love and security to their daughter.Amen

Im so sorry for your suffering at this time my sister.You are in my prayers.My children had to go through this process and suffered terribly.I wish i had the wisdom to have prevented them suffering like you too.My love for you and you are in my prayers
God bless

You and your parents will be in my prayers too.:gopray:
Don’t give up hope.

Prayer to St. Jude
Most holy apostle, St. Jude, faithful servant and friend of Jesus, the Church honors and invokes you universally, as the patron of hopeless cases, of things almost despaired of.

Pray for 4EverHis and her family, She is so helpless and alone. Make use I implore you, of that particular privilege given to you, to bring visible and speedy help where help is almost despaired of.

Come to their assistance in this great need that they may receive the consolation and help of heaven in all their necessities, tribulations, and sufferings, particularly reconciliation between each other and return to their faith, and that I may praise God with you and all the elect forever.

I promise, O blessed St. Jude, to be ever mindful of this great favor, to always honor you as my special and powerful patron, and to gratefully encourage devotion to you.

Amen.

For my beloved sister in our Lord Jesus Christ,

Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins
as we forgive those who sin against us.
Save us from the time of trial
and deliver us from evil.
For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours
now and for ever. Amen.

I cannot imagine the pain your going through, divorce hurts all of deeply.

Praying for you and your family…Stay faithful to Christ and keep praying…

Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
Forgive us our sins
as we forgive those who sin against us.
Save us from the time of trial
and deliver us from evil.
For the kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours
now and for ever. Amen.

What if your guardian angel (GA) appeared to you this evening…really in person…no dream/no illusion type confusion/questions…and guaranteed that Our Lord Jesus told him to tell you…that your parents would forgive each other… would you be satisfied?..happy? Now what if your GA gave you further details that it would happen for both of your parents on their death bed…and that God would be satisfied…even pleased with this last minute act of forgiveness and reconciliation…would you be satisfied…?

Its hard to understand his methods/timing…for you and…especially for me…believe me it is incredibly hard…but if you knew that it would be worked out on God’s plan/timing…happy? What if God told you that this is best for his plans…that it happen this way…would you be able to accept his word?

Guess what?..it will be best…and God will make it work out for his glory…with their free will decisions included…he will not be thwarted if your parents are of good heart and good will…and I am sure that they are…even in all the distortions and confusion…so guess what…you should…“be not afraid”…its an illusion for you to think that God is somehow not in control…that he will not be able to work this out…Praise be to God…he is a great God…Trust Him…what an amazing event you will witness…this life? or the next life?..I don’t know…but it will happen!!

Pax Christi

Trust in the LORD, and do good;
so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed.
Delight thyself also in the LORD:
and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.

Commit thy way unto the LORD;
trust also in him;
and he shall bring it to pass.
And he shall bring forth thy righteousness as the light,
and thy judgment as the noonday.

Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for him:
fret not thyself because of him who prospereth in his way,
because of the man who bringeth wicked devices to pass.
Cease from anger, and forsake wrath:
fret not thyself in any wise to do evil.

The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD:
and he delighteth in his way.
Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down:
for the LORD upholdeth him with his hand.

Wait on the LORD,
and keep his way,
and he shall exalt thee to inherit the land:
when the wicked are cut off, thou shalt see it.
I have seen the wicked in great power,
and spreading himself like a green bay tree.
Yet he passed away, and, lo, he was not:
yea, I sought him, but he could not be found.

Mark the perfect man, and behold the upright:
for the end of that man is peace.
But the transgressors shall be destroyed together:
the end of the wicked shall be cut off.

But the salvation of the righteous is of the LORD:
he is their strength in the time of trouble.
And the LORD shall help them, and deliver them:
he shall deliver them from the wicked,
and save them,
because they trust in him.

(Psalm 37:3-8, 23-24, 34-40)

I really am so sorry about what’s happening to your family, and for what you are going through, and will keep you and your parents in my prayers and Masses.
I ask the loving Spirit of God to intervene.
You have a lot to deal with, so please take good care of yourself.

Praying hard for you and your family. Hang in there.

Lord please guide the parents and daughter through this emotional turmoil.May they be open to Your will and love their daughter and make her feel more secure.Please be with this family at this time we pray for them to be reconciled as a family together or apart.
We ask these things through Jesus Christ our Lord Amen

Thank you all so much :hug1: I’m really grateful for your prayers!

I feel like God has been giving me strength. I’m not giving up and I’ll keep on praying :slight_smile:

thank you all again!! God bless you!

Hail Mary,
full of grace,
the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

thank you for the prayers :slight_smile:

May God bless your parents,
and you

Our Father who art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come.
Thy will be done, on earth, as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us.
Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit,
as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now ,
and at the hour of our death. Amen

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.