Parents pulling children out of Catechism

Hi!

I would like to ask if any parents whom you know pulled their children out of Catechism class? Why did they do so? And what was the result (short-term and Long-term)?

My parents pulled me out of Catechism when I was 9. Up till today I still don’t know why.
Short-term results: I got to grow in faith and love under their guidance as they brought me to a lot of Catholic events and read the Bible and prayed the Rosary every day.
Long-term: While I’d built a strong foundation of my Catholic faith, my family stopped reading the Bible (read my previous thread!) and going for Catholic events. Also, I lost my base of Catholic friends.

1 Like

My parents pulled us out of the church a year after my FHC, my sister was only ever baptized but my brother was confirmed. Why? The changes brought on after Vatican 2 were unsettling to them and the rest of the family. Short-term result, it was really hell not being able to go to church. But the yearning stayed alive. Long-term, having searched for what I lost and never found again I was finally able to forgive my parents because I understood their reasons for protecting their children. I would have done the same.

1 Like

It’s really important to be in a good Catechism class. I know some people that shortly after quitting class, they stopped coming to Church.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.