Parents Share Story of Transgender 6-Year-Old Son

shine.yahoo.com/parenting/parents-share-story-of-transgender-son-193216025.html

I really am quite disturbed by this news. I sympathize with 6 yr old ryland and her parents who are going through the identity crisis of their kid, but on the other hand I worry that this thing will be a trend in the society. I mean, I know that we should be understanding and compassionate with persons with homosexual/bisexual orientation, but I feel that** it’s a little too overboard for parents to support their children with their preferred orientation.**
What does the Church say about this? and how should we deal with such a sensitive issue?
Ryland’s parents went through experts and professionals, and I know it must be hard for them since they are really worrying for their daughter’s suicidal tendency if her orientation is not accepted.

Is this a serious moral threat in the society? what is the implication of this issue?

1. Ryland is, was, and always will be female. Thus, the proper pronouns are “she/her”, not “he/him”. Male brains function differently from female brains. No surgery will change the brain function of Ryland. Male eyes see the world differently than female eyes. No surgery will change the eye function of Ryland. Males have a y-chromosome, females do not. No surgery will change the female DNA of Ryland. She will always be female, even if she can make herself appear male. It is little different than crossdressing.

2. My 6 year old son wants to be a Transformer when he grows up. I’m not about to call in a team of plastic surgeons to make him look like a robot. Neither should these parents mutilate their 6 year old daughter. I wouldn’t even allow my 6 yr old son to decide what to eat for dinner (ice cream and cookie every night) or whether or not to go to school in the morning, much less whether or not he is male or female.

3. This is child abuse. Simply put.

4. Where does a small child like Ryland even get the concept that she might really not be a girl? That isn’t a normal thought and was unknown in all of human history until recent surgical advancements were made. Her parents have planted these seeds in her mind.

We should all pray for this poor little girl. She is in for a long, hard life. May she find Jesus and salvation despite the damage done to her by her parents, those who should be the first to care for her.

This just makes me sad. :frowning:

:thumbsup:

Why the heck did our nation stop considering this **** a mental illness? Seriously, when did we start entertaining the crazies? (This isn’t meant to be derogatory towards the girl or the struggle she’ll dealing with, but there’s obviously something wrong with her that isn’t being addressed). The parents should be trying to help the child, not feeding her delusions and mutilating her body.

These parents are doing the right thing as far as I am concerned. A child of this age hardly has any preconceived ideas, based on moral standards or education, to have a preferred orientation. This seems to be a case of an innate tendency and should not be dismissed. If the child is truly transgendered then there are physical and physiological issues going on, not just a mental concept.

I think a greater sin would be to force this child to be female when her natural desire seems to be that of a male. This is where I think the Church should be a bit wiser about her teachings on the matters of homosexuality. There is nothing sinful about being transgendered or homosexual. The only real issue is chastity and the call to remain celibate if one has SSA.

There is too much evidence that there are biochemical, physiological differences within those who are transgendered versus those of us who have a clear sexual orientation.

Sorry, but I’m going to respectfully disagree. There is no such thing as “transgender,” it’s a trendy buzzword used to describe a series of neurological and psychological problems which should be addressed, not ignored or treated as normal. Genetically, she is a female, period. There is not ignoring or denying that fact. What she “feels” like is a subjective notion that has no affect on this whatsoever. By going ahead with the surgeries she has done irreparable damage to her body, and has mutilated it to the point where it can no longer fulfill the ends to which God designed it; this is always a grave act, as has been explicitly expressed in the condemnation of any manner of sterilization.

Differences have no standing on whether or not something is moral or ethical. There are biochemical and psychological differences in a the mind of a depressed person, or a suicidal person, or a manic-depressive, or any one of a thousand other mental and physical defects. The only reason it doesn’t get called what it is is because it intersects with our society’s golden-calf of free and unabated sexuality.

You are correct that there is nothing inherently immoral about having these imbalances (being “transgender”), nor is there anything explicitly immoral about homosexual inclinations. However, these people have stepped over the bounds of mere inclination, and have chosen to act, and as such have crossed over into the realm of being sinful.

First of all, there is no definitive evidence that this child’s body is the way God designed it. As you are aware, there are many birth defects that people are born with. A person born congenitally blind or congenitally missing a limb is not so because of God’s “design” but because of the stain of original sin. It is perfectly licit to believe a person could have an embryonic error that caused their genitalia and reproductive organs to develop inappropriately; it already happens in many intersex and hermaphroditic conditions, disproving the idea that genitalia are infallibly produced in-utero.

Secondly, the Church actually ALLOWS for the surgery as “morally ethical” in “certain, extreme cases.” Therefore, it cannot be an intrinsically evil act, which makes sense, as the Catechism has allowances for surgery in medical and/or therapeutic usages.

There may be biochemical differences in people with depression, but not anywhere comparable to what’s found in transsexuals. The brain structures that are found in transsexuals have dichotomous sizes in the range of their identified sex. It is also important to note that these ranges are not overlapping, as people are wont to argue, and that the average transsexual woman would have to be around five standard deviations smaller than their “expected” brain size based on birth genitalia, a statistical absurdity.

There is no Magisterial evidence that this is sinful, whatsoever. There have been no encyclicals, no ex cathedra statements, not so much as a passing comment from a sitting Pope (Pope Benedict’s Christmas address was about genderqueer individuals, a political product of the feminist movement, not about transsexualism, which is a medical condition that essentially disproves genderqueer theory).

To the OP: it is not sinful to transition if one is found by medical authorities to require it. If anyone tells you otherwise, ask them for some form of Magisterial evidence. They will not be able to produce any.

However, one would question the prudence at this age. Kids go through phases all the time, and it would be better to allow the child to dress/act/have their hair cut how they wish [within reason] until about 7-8, and only then working through the legal avenues and putting them on puberty blockers, etc. No permanent changes will happen during that time, and it would allow the parents to know whether the child is actually transsexual or going through an early childhood phase.

Inter-sexed and hermaphroditic instances are not comparable, as they are the result of a malformation in the genital organs. This is something completely and entirely different, and relates to mental perception rather than genetic reality. This is not a simple “birth defect,” in almost all of these cases (all that I’m aware of, but I’m providing an allowance for cases that I am not aware of) the person’s body has developed perfectly in line with their genetic structure. Since we, as Catholics, believe that the body and soul are intrinsically linked, it is not a valid assumption to posit that the soul can be feminine, but the body accidentally became male.

Furthermore, the Church allows for -necessary- surgeries, of which this was not one. The young lady’s body function exactly as it was supposed to, she simply didn’t “feel” right, which is an entirely subjective notion, and not one that should be used in the determination of a person’s sex.

If you’re trying to claim that the Church has allowed for gender reassignment surgery, I’m going to have to ask you to prove it, because it flies in the face of everything I’ve read on the Church’s teachings about the body and soul, and on how they are inextricably linked.

There may be biochemical differences in people with depression, but not anywhere comparable to what’s found in transsexuals. The brain structures that are found in transsexuals have dichotomous sizes in the range of their identified sex. It is also important to note that these ranges are not overlapping, as people are wont to argue, and that the average transsexual woman would have to be around five standard deviations smaller than their “expected” brain size based on birth genitalia, a statistical absurdity.

The problem with this is that it has absolutely zero affect on whether or not the girl is female. Just because the deviations are more pronounced doesn’t mean that they’re not deviations, or that they should be treated as normal. Genetically speaking, she is a girl, and nothing is capable of changing that. I may be a male with a significant number of feminine traits and attitudes, but at the end of the day, my chromosomes still read xy, and I should act accordingly.

There is no Magisterial evidence that this is sinful, whatsoever. There have been no encyclicals, no ex cathedra statements, not so much as a passing comment from a sitting Pope (Pope Benedict’s Christmas address was about genderqueer individuals, a political product of the feminist movement, not about transsexualism, which is a medical condition that essentially disproves genderqueer theory).

Just because the Magisterium hasn’t made a declarative statement doesn’t make something sinful or not sinful. A sin isn’t a sin because the Church says so, the Church calls something a sin because it is one. I am using my prudential judgment to make a determination. It is not binding, nor is it inerrant; what it is is based on what I know of the Church’s teachings about the link between the body and soul, and how it is important that we respect our God-given bodies. It is my opinion that surgeries such as this reject the link between the body and soul, and reject the gift of our bodies. Should the Church ever make a proclamation to the contrary, then I will of course conform, but until that point it remains within my right to reach my own determination, which I have shared

To the OP: it is not sinful to transition if one is found by medical authorities to require it. If anyone tells you otherwise, ask them for some form of Magisterial evidence. They will not be able to produce any.

I don’t think we should be looking to the medical authorities to make prudential judgments on whether or not an action is a proper one to undertake. Keep in mind that these are the same people who will frequently advocate for abortion at the slightest hint of defect. Had there been a test to check for this supposed transgenderism, I’d imagine this poor girl wouldn’t have made it to the point of birth.

However, one would question the prudence at this age. Kids go through phases all the time, and it would be better to allow the child to dress/act/have their hair cut how they wish [within reason] until about 7-8, and only then working through the legal avenues and putting them on puberty blockers, etc.

This I can agree with wholly, except I’d push the age back a bit farther.

Firstly, intersex disorders don’t always have visible errors in the genitalia. In fact, individuals with CAIS don’t even find out they’re XY until they fail to menstruate, usually.

Secondly, this is not just a “mental perception.” It is backed up by dichotomous structural differences in the brain that are unaffected by hormonal input during life, which implies that they are also likely unaffected by routine synapse changes that occur in response to environmental factors. It is as much a physical disorder as any intersex or hermaphroditic condition, just significantly less visible and less verifiable before death. However, the 100% rate so far at which we have been able to identify the gender identity of a person during their autopsy would seem to indicate that it is a real condition, not merely a mental disorder or delusion.

Yes, sir. I would never dare to make such a claim without having such evidence ready.

ncronline.org/news/vatican-says-sex-change-operation-does-not-change-persons-gender

[Keep in mind this is an archived Catholic News Service [who are orthodox] article, not a NCR article.]

The Vatican document’s specific points include:

– An analysis of the moral licitness of “sex-change” operations. It concludes that the procedure could be morally acceptable in certain extreme cases if a medical probability exists that it will “cure” the patient’s internal turmoil.

But neither genitalia [hermaphrodtic conditions] nor chromosomes [de la Chapelle, CAIS, 5-ARD, 17-BHDD] are infallible. And while chromosomes are certainly the least malleable marker other than gender identity, there is no reason to suggest that a girl must be put in an XX embryo or a boy must be put in an XY embryo. Our bodies are stained with original sin, and our genetics will only 100% line up with our identity when we are in our glorified bodies, not our Earthly bodies.

There was a boy a recent time ago named David Reimer who had a botched circumcision at birth. His parents decided, from the time he was a baby, to raise him as a girl, giving him a sex change operation immediately after birth. He never had any knowledge of this, but throughout life, he always identified as male, and he reacted badly to estrogen therapy and rejected female toys and clothes. He ultimately committed suicide over the ordeal. I think he proves conclusively that gender identity is inherent in a person. And as it is the most inherent gender marker there is, it makes me feel that it is the best gender marker we can go off of.

It is true that a sin is not so merely because it is declared so by the Magisterium. It is also true that you are more than able to believe that transsexualism is illicit, and you can of course give your opinion as such. However, I read your opinion as suggesting other Catholics are bound to believe the same, which is not true. A Catholic may believe either direction on this issue, and I most definitely respect that you have differing opinions than me on the issue.
[cont’d on next post]

While this is true, on issues that the Church has no teaching on and that are fully consistent with the Church’s current teaching [e.g. transsexuals believe they have always been one gender, cannot change it, and are merely seeking physical changes that would allow them to live as their true gender in our society], I still will defer to medical doctors, especially when all current research points to transsexualism being an inherent intersex disorder.

Perhaps, but you don’t want to risk the child going through puberty, as there are irreversible hormonal changes for either hormone if you wait too long.

I believe yes the parents are doing their best…I too was quite convinced by their story…but as far as I know first and foremost we are children of God. We are created in His image and likeness and according to His design. I see this as the cross of Ryland as everybody are given their own crosses as well that we should all carry. I am somehow not against their support for their child (not discriminating her, respecting her choices etc), but I am worrying in the future this would also allowing her to enter into same-sex relationship and even marriage. I believe they should let their child understand the Gospel teaching at such an early age…it’s a serious matter.

I have a niece who is much like Ryland. She was saying she was really a boy from the time she was 2-1/2 years old. No one told her that or influenced her to be that way. This was not just a tomboy phase. She has continually and consistently been this way and is now graduating from high school. She has refused to wear girl clothing ever since that young age, has always preferred a short haircut and has never varied from her perception of really being a boy.
Just because we don’t understand this thing doesn’t make it go away. Perhaps someday we will discover that there really is a basis for it.

I’ve offered further thoughts, for those interested at the links below

11 Thought on the “Parents of Transgendered 6 Yr Old” Story

3 Questions for the Transgendered Community

The whole idea of this repulses me, and I have sympathy on the child and the parents. They will be in my prayers.

First of all, gender can’t be compared to race. Race is merely a social construct of this world. Many people now considered “white” were formally sub-divided into “Irish white,” etc. There is no theological meaning of race whatsoever. Conversely, everyone is born either male OR female. And all scientific evidence points to transgender people having the brain structures of their identity, directly contradicting your opinion that this child has a “female” brain. If this child is indeed transgender, he would have a male-structured brain, not a female brain. Men and women have dichotomous, non-overlapping sizes of brain structures, and post-humous autopsies of transgender individuals have shown them to have the sizes in the range of their identified sex, not the sex others perceived them to be.

The comparison to believing oneself to be rich or the President are ridiculous and also social constructs. And a human being cannot possibly be an animal, period, and there is no scientific evidence supporting someone who did, unlike the plethora of scientific evidence showing that transgender people do, in fact, have a biological basis for being transgender.

Well, friend, you seem to be trying to have it both ways. Is “everyone born either male OR female” or is there a “plethora of scientific evidence showing that transgender people do, in fact have a biological basis for being transgender”?

The point, which you seemed to have missed, with the millionaire / president analogy is that we are not what we want to be, but what we are. If “man” and “woman” are merely social constructs (which, I believe, we both disagree with) then the transgendered could claim to change from one to the other. If, however, we are all born male or female and if men are adult human males and women are adult human females, the case for switching from one to the other disappears.

No, you’re missing what SMGS is saying. She’s saying that all people are born either male or female, but the doctors do not always have the information to determine which. Some people are born with male genitalia, but female brain structure, female hormone balance, female interests, etc. Her point, if I understand it, is that such a person might be female, even if we identify “him” as male because of his genitalia.

:thumbsup: Exactly right. Eloquently stated, PS :).

Transgender people do not claim to “switch” from one gender to the other. The theory that people can switch between genders and/or that genders don’t matter is known as gender spectrum theory, not transgenderism. Transgender people claim, with scientific evidence backing them up, that they have ALWAYS been the gender they identify with and that they cannot change this, a claim that is consistent with Catholic teaching on gender. They only take hormones and get surgery to correct their genitalia from the birth defect caused in-utero. Transgender people’s preferred term for the surgery is “gender confirmation surgery,” to drive this point home to those who believe that transsexuals wish to “change” their sex.

Would you say that if the child was born autistic?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.