Parents who libelled teacher ordered to pay $1.02 million

montrealgazette.com/news/Parents+libelled+teacher+ordered+million/10296418/story.html

The drama started in 2004 at an elementary school in Westmount, a wealthy Montreal suburb. Kanavaros had asked a nine-year-old student to redo homework because she believed the child’s mother had done the assignment.

Outraged by the teacher’s reaction, the parents, Hagop Artinian and Kathryn Rosentein sued Kanavaros, the school principal and the school board. They asked for $155,000, claiming their son was humiliated.

After four years of negotiation, the school and the parents came to an agreement that included that both parties had to keep the case confidential.

The parents broke the agreement by talking to the media.

Good for the teacher. Maybe parents will start to act like parents.

A good result. The initial lawsuit was ridiculous and it’s come back to bite the parents.

For the sake of the teacher, I hope the parents are able to pay up.

What’s sad is it took four years, which effectively muzzles other teachers from taking the same risk with their students.

Good for the teacher! :thumbsup:

The figures just boggle the mind. Mind you, I haven’t looked at the filings and know zip about Montreal’s system, but on it’s face:

Widdle Johnny was embarrassed. He’ll get over it. The parents took umbrage. They talked to the teacher. And they placed a DOLLAR FIGURE ON THAT. It’s not “intentional infliction of emotional distress,” a tort in itself.

Wait until Widdle Johnny gets turned down for a job, then asks the interviewer not to discuss it, and the interviewer does, and it’s proven in court…Little Johnny has learned he can just collect, not work.

The teacher suffered no loss. It’s tit-for-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat.

When did, “You’re right, my bad, let me make amends” open one up to “I admitted guilt and responsibility. Here’s the keys to my house, car, and safety deposit box.” --and in all places, Canada?

THAT HAS GOT TO BE THE MOST EXPENSIVE HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT EVER. How many kids could go to an Ivy League school for that?

I would like to see more suits on *principal *and actual, provable cost than inflated value of research, attorney’s fees, etc.

Is there a cap on the figure?

I think I can top that on a whole different level. While attending Yale University, Fred W Smith wrote a paper about his idea for a reliable express delivery company. His professor found the idea implausible and gave him a grade of “C”. He should have asked to invest in the idea. This “average” student went on to found Fedex Corp which now has a market cap of $44.2 billion.

I have a lot of teachers among my family and friends, and they all hate the saying that, “Those who can, do. Those who can’t, teach.” Sometimes old sayings are right.:smiley:

achievement.org/autodoc/page/smi0bio-1

I am not sure if there is an actual LEGAL cap on these type of settlements and can appreciate your concerns but the bottom line is the parents should have just shut up rather than think they can disregard a legal order. The figure that is key to this is $912,327 for loss wages and considering her age at the time of this (50) and the likelihood of her finding employment elsewhere is nill, it is calculated on the basis of a $49,000 a year salary adjusted for a 3% increase annually.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.