Parish celebrating 50 years during Lent, Anniversary Mass questions

Our parish is commemorating its 50th anniversary this Saturday (moved because the actual day falls on Sunday). Of course, our patron is St. Patrick, whose feast day is March 17. As I understand it, the parish ‘dedication anniversary’ or patron feast day is a solemnity within that parish, and Lenten restrictions are relaxed on solemnities.

A few questions… since the day is not on a Friday this year, normal abstinence rules are not a conflict. But if the day does fall on a Friday some year, does this solemnity (if it does indeed rise to that level) dispense parishioners from the abstinence from meat?

Next, may the Gloria be sung during this commemorative Mass? We will have 3 bishops concelebrating with our priests… it’s my understanding (perhaps faulty) that the rule of thumb goes, 'If the Bishop celebrates the Mass at your parish, you do the Gloria-- but not the Alleluia (during Lent). What is the actual ‘rubric’ in this case?

Finally, what are some general ‘rules’ that apply to the celebration of a parish’s dedication anniversary or patron saint’s feast day when it falls during Lent?

Thanks!

~Spoken4

why are you worried about this? with three Bishops there, I’m sure they know what they are doing and follow the correct rubrics for the celebration as well as Lenten restrictions.
You should ask your priest if so concerned. no one here can answer any questions about a Mass that hasn’t happen yet. Dispensations about meat on the Friday due to St. Patricks day have been done before, check with your priest.

It is a relevant question. However - the OP needs to be contacting his Diocesan offices to ask for help with this - NOT asking on the internet. There will be canon lawyers and other liturgy professionals who can help with arranging such an event so it is done properly and according to all rules and requirements, especially during Lent.

~Liza

with three bishops involved, you don’t think that that is not already being done?

[quote=robwar]why are you worried about this? [snip] with three bishops involved, you don’t think that that is not already being done?
[/quote]

Probably because they are curious? I am as well now, and there probably are some people here who know the answer, or at least know of an internet accessible resource to check.

Some of us like to know how things work, even when the responsibility for making sure that they do is someone else’s. Seeking understanding for its own sake and all that.

OP - I hope someone can provide some helpful answers. I, however, have no clue.

Well clearly not if the person is here asking!!! LOL :rolleyes:

~Liza

From the Code of Canon Law:

Can. 1251 Abstinence from meat, or from some other food as determined by the Episcopal Conference, is to be observed on all Fridays, unless a solemnity should fall on a Friday. Abstinence and fasting are to be observed on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday.

If St. Patrick’s Day is a Solemnity for your parish and it falls on a Friday during Lent, then abstinence from meat does not apply. Just make sure it really is a solemnity for your parish. :wink:

From the General Instruction of the Roman Missal:

53. The Gloria in excelsis (Glory to God in the highest) is a most ancient and venerable hymn by which the Church, gathered in the Holy Spirit, glorifies and entreats God the Father and the Lamb. The text of this hymn may not be replaced by any other. It is intoned by the Priest or, if appropriate, by a cantor or by the choir; but it is sung either by everyone together, or by the people alternately with the choir, or by the choir alone. If not sung, it is to be recited either by everybody together or by two choirs responding one to the other.

It is sung or said on Sundays outside Advent and Lent, and also on Solemnities and Feasts, and at particular celebrations of a more solemn character.

I don’t think the Gloria is sung at every Massa bishop says, regardless of when it falls. As Liza said, your best bet would be consulting your diocese to see if this counts as a “celebration of a more solemn character.” Unless you are the one planning the liturgy, though, I would assume that they have it all figured out.

You’ve seen the rules about abstinence if a solemnity does fall on a Friday. (I’ll just add that solemnities that would fall during Holy week will be moved so there is no such thing as a solemnity that coincides with Good Friday.)

The rules for determining local solemnities are kind of complex. The best way to figure out what local solemnities apply to your diocese and/or your parish is to check with your bishop. The following describes local solemnities:

a) feast of the principal Patron of the place, city or state;
b) feast of the dedication/anniversary of one’s own church;
c) feast of the Title of one’s own church;
d) feast either of the Title, or of the Founder, or of the principal Patron of an Order or Congregation.

At the parish level a local solemnity would normally be celebrated on either the principle feast of your parish patron saint or the anniversary of the day the parish was (last) dedicated (but not both). If an important local solemnity falls on a Sunday in Lent the bishop will typically move it to a different day.

This Mass hasn’t even happen yet and looks like speculation on OP part. I think with three bishops and I’m sure a master of ceremonies involved, they will get it right. OP didn’t say what his involvement in the Mass is and if I was a gambler I bet this was a thread to get people worked up or give their non-expert opinions on a 50th anniversary Mass during Lent.
It one thing to have a question AFTER a Mass but trying to ask non-experts about a Mass ahead of time is someone looking not for answers but trouble.

How do you know the OP is not on the parish committee to plan for this Mass and event? You are making assumptions and making someone look like a meddling busy body, when he may be just trying to address legitimate questions.

~Liza

Just go along and ‘enjoy’ the celebration

too much worrying on these boards :shrug:

because the OP hasn’t come back on to clarify it.

I don’t think they are moved. Look at the Feast of the Annunciation, which would fall on Holy Monday, but is not celebrated this year - at all.

So you just assume the worst. I see.

Maybe this person has a life away from their computer, and can only come back periodically? Or would you prefer that their absence is also a sign of something negative?

~Liza

If the OP is responsible for planning this Mass he or she has completely run out of time! I’m sure the bishop’s liturgist or the diocesan Office of Worship would help with the planning but the Mass is scheduled in two days!

Look, I’m sorry if my question of curiosity upset some of the members here. It’s been a while since I’ve attended a major milestone Mass (50 years, by the grace of God!). I was genuinely curious, which is why I asked. I also happen to love our ‘Gloria’ setting and I miss it… and was kind of hoping that we’d get to sing it again just this once. Pardon me if that’s silly thinking, and if it’s immature for me to enjoy the Mass at our parish. I’ll try to do better and be less joyful in the future. :wink:

As for my not being immediately by my computer to offer my clarification… my apologies for that as well. My friend called asking for some help with household and yard chores because he just got out of the hospital from a staph infection in his hand. He’s doing a lot better, but he can’t move it enough yet to do much with it (prayers requested for a continued good recovery). So, I did what any good friend and Catholic would do for another. Thus, I apologize for the delay.

But, I digress. :shrug:

Once again, my question was one out of curiosity because I simply can’t recall. Were it not for the fact that everyone in the parish staff is busy preparing for the ‘DECLARED’ solemnity and luncheon afterward, I would have called them myself. I know that there are many knowledgeable people on these forums and I thought it was a fairly straightforward query. I see that it was a bother instead. :frowning:

Thank you anyway.

~Spoken4

And I’m really sorry that you were made to feel that way – there is nothing wrong with asking relevant questions. It’s how we learn and know our faith. And you cannot love what you do not know.

So — keep asking!! Just don’t let the grumpy pants bother you. :wink:

~Liza

The better question would be if a Parish Solemnity can impede a Sunday of Lent?

OK. And the answer:

Sundays during Lent are higher ranking solemnities than other solemnity with the potential of occurring during Lent. That’s why the local solemnity had to be moved to a date other than March 17th.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.