Parish in downtown Chicago

Does anyone know of a nice parish to go to in downtown chicago for christmas eve or christmas day Mass. I looked up Holy Name Cathedral, but they recommend tickets in order to have a seat and I don't have tickets. I can't make it to midnight Mass at the parish i usually go to. I have not yet converted so this is my first Christmas Eve Mass and my father (protestant) is coming with me.:D

HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS!

That would be St. Peter's at 110 West Madison, between Clark and LaSalle.

Masses every hour or oftener on Sundays and Holydays.

Confessions almost always.

Thanks Beeliner. I just realized though, I'm looking for a parish closer to Michigan Ave than the Loop. :blush:

If I go to Christmas eve Mass at 4 pm it still counts as the Christmas Vigil, correct?

[quote="Lead_Me_Home, post:3, topic:180694"]
1. Thanks Beeliner. I just realized though, I'm looking for a parish closer to Michigan Ave than the Loop. :blush:2. If I go to Christmas eve Mass at 4 pm it still counts as the Christmas Vigil, correct?

[/quote]

1. You didn't specify North or South Michigan. There used to be Old St. Mary's chapel at Wabash and VanBuren, that would be just a block off South Michigan, but I'm not sure if it's still there, I now live downstate.

2. I don't think so. I think that would apply only if Christmas happened to fall on Sunday. But the individiual dioceses may have some discretion here, so check with the church office on that.

St John Cantius 825 n.Carpenter, Chicago

Though not downtown, near north, is the church I would attend on christmas eve.
Incredible church with devout priests.

Hi,
this is very nice information.But can you please tell me how can I help this?

[quote="beeliner, post:5, topic:180694"]
. . .
2. I don't think so. I think that would apply only if Christmas happened to fall on Sunday. But the individiual dioceses may have some discretion here, so check with the church office on that.

[/quote]

It applies for all holy days of obligation.

Can. 1248 ยง1. A person who assists at a Mass celebrated anywhere in a Catholic rite either on the feast day itself or in the evening of the preceding day satisfies the obligation of participating in the Mass.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.