parish priest leaving... sad

nothing, just wanted to vent
got the news today our parish priest is leaving. he was called by the archbishop for a different purpose. he's very excellent during homilies when he dissects all the readings and gives us the analysis in context of the background of the time the reading was written. for example, he always stresses how Luke wrote his Resurrection account because as a convert, he didn't want to send out the message that the Apostles sat around doing nothing for 50 days. so it seemed by his account that Jesus rose, ascended and sent the Holy Spirit all on the same day.

anyway, sad to see him go. never have i enjoyed homilies as much as i did with him giving them. its like going to a Bible Study during mass, not only was my soul nourished, my mind as well.

I think I once heard someone on this forum say "If he's a good priest, then everyone should get a chance to have him. If he's a bad priest, then no one should have him forever".

Just remember, it'll still be a Catholic parish even with a different priest. One of the greatest things about the Catholic Church is that you're not tied to one location or one pastor. You can have any Catholic priest or go to any Catholic parish.

My sympathies, it is always sad when a father is lost.

I know what you mean about loosing a good priest. we are loosing our Pastor from the local OF parish. He is a very good priest and friendly to our Traditionalist group. He is going into the chancery (administration duties). I know that its necessary but we need priests out administering the Sacraments, not desk-bound.

You have my sympathies. :frowning: However, don’t think of it as “losing” the priest… just as another parish “finding” him. :slight_smile:

he’s not really going to another parish, but he’s going to serve in the office of the Archbishop and would head the program for Catholic Education in the Archdiocese

at least i would be confident now sending my son to Catholic School knowing that he’ll get a good, Catholic education :thumbsup:

[quote="choy, post:6, topic:200062"]
he's not really going to another parish, but he's going to serve in the office of the Archbishop and would head the program for Catholic Education in the Archdiocese

at least i would be confident now sending my son to Catholic School knowing that he'll get a good, Catholic education :thumbsup:

[/quote]

It sounds like the whole Archdiocese is gaining a fantastic worker - and with him in the Archbishop's office, you can be sure that the quality of the rest of the priests in your Archdiocese will also improve. :)

Oh, man. Talk about a coincidence. Our parish priest is leaving as well. :crying: Our bishop re-assigned him and he’ll transfer in July. I pray that we, in return, receive a faithful, devout priest. But still, this particular priest played a role in my conversion, so I’m going to miss him.

[quote="HarmonyServant, post:8, topic:200062"]
Oh, man. Talk about a coincidence. Our parish priest is leaving as well. :crying: Our bishop re-assigned him and he'll transfer in July. I pray that we, in return, receive a faithful, devout priest. But still, this particular priest played a role in my conversion, so I'm going to miss him.

[/quote]

apparently there was a whole list of reassignments to diocesan priests in our archdiocese

perhaps there is a regular cycle where diocesan priests are shuffled around the archdiocese? i haven't read our local Catholic Newpaper when i heard of the new, but then when i did i saw there was a long list of priest being moved around. i also know one other priest who's being moved and getting his own parish. its a bit far from where i live but i might go attend mass at his new parish just to say hello

In our diocese a newly ordained priest is in a parish for 5 years before being moved. Other priests, including pastors, have a 6 year term with pastors eligible to renew for another 6 years if he chooses and the bishop agrees. Sometimes an associate priest is moved before his term is up because of a need in another area, he is sent for further study, or because he is really not working out in the parish he is assigned to . A pastor on the other hand cannot just be moved but must agree to the request to move (I think under canon law). Most moves are done at the end of June.

i do remember in the Philippines that every so often, our parish priest is replaced and moved to other parishes

i just thought the same practice isn’t being done here

Here in Calgary, under Bishop Paul, pastors had a five year term, and associate pastors had a three year term.

Under Bishop Henry, the terms seem to be more flexible - some priests seem to move around a lot, and others are staying put for a good long time. I think he is looking more at how the priest is fitting in, and what kind of work he is good at, and what sort of things he is accomplishing. Those who are moving around a lot seem to have more of the gift of getting projects started (idea guys), and the ones who are staying put seem to be the sort that are really good at day-to-day management, as well as being very pastoral. Each priest seems to be gifted in different ways and our Bishop seems to be taking that into account, when moving them around.

I’m feeling the same sadness right now. :frowning:

June is the time of saying goodbye and sheding tears, priests are shifted around, students graduated from school…… That is the way it is. I asked our wonderful Parochial Vicar when would he hear from the bishop if he is being moved away. He said usually by June the bishop have already called, so no news is good news. I think we may keep our Vicar for another year. In my parish, the vicar usually stays two to three years.

As people of emotion, we unavoidably feel sad when a priest is moved away, especially we may never see some of them again. From seeing them everyday (if one attends daily Mass) to possibly never again is a huge adjustment. During the past, I cry every time when a priest is transferred. I like to train myself not shed tears for future cases, but I don’t know how successful my plan will be. At least this year I can smile.

My condolences. I’m a new convert, so I’ve never had that happen, but I think I would be devastated. Luckily, our pastor says he’s here for the next 25 years, no matter what. :wink: Let’s hope!.

Thank you. I think I used all the tears that you can use for one day. I’ll pray for your pastor! God bless!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.