Parishes/Catholic Schools in Houston/suburbs

Hello, we are contemplating a move to Houston, possibly to the suburbs like Katy or Sugar Land. Does anyone have any comments on the suburban parishes or schools? We would want to move where there was a Catholic school whose first priority was to be a Catholic school (not just a private school) and an orthodox parish. I searched the forum archives and found a few recommendations of good parishes in the city, but does anyone have anything to say about the suburbs?
Thanks so much!

We’re not in Katy, but there’s St. John Vianney parish here on the west side. Very large church with tons of ministries, somewhat orthodox although no Latin Masses. More traditional than our other nearby parish.

St. John Vianney

Our closest Catholic school is John Paul II. We’re out of that stage, so I don’t know what the school is like now, but they’ve been growing lately I believe.

John Paul II

If you go to Katy, you’ll drive east to get to either the church or the school.

Now, Sugar Land is really not a suburb, neither is Katy, they are separate towns but close to Houston.

I know about 2 of the churches but nothing specific, we just played them in basketball. St. Laurence had some of the biggest boys I had ever seen in middle school!

St. Laurence

There are also: St. Theresa and St. Thomas Aquinas. Looks like St. Theresa is adding a school, PK4-3 currently but adding a class or two a year to go through middle school.

St. Theresa

You’ll love Houston! We don’t have much scenery really, lots of trees though, but the FRIENDLIEST people you’d ever want to meet!

:thumbsup:

Edit: Here’s a list of the more orthodox parishes in Houston.

Orthodox Houston

I agree with the above poster. I grew up in Katy and sugar land. St.Lawrence is a good, active and growing parish but it’s large. Like 5000k families but there is a new church going up in sienna plantation. Father drew is nice and traditional if you mean up holding the teachings of the church. There isn’t a Latin mass at the church but that shouldn’t be the only standard.

St. Threes is good too. Very active. I think they do have Latin mass once a week.

St. Vincent de Paul is also good. I would stay away from st. Angnes. I have had too many girl friends who went there and have fallen away from the faith.

If you decided to home schooling you should look at my own parish of our lady of Walsingham. It’s called the holy house and they meet once a week for school on Wednesday’s of all grade levels.

I am a native houstonians so please feel free to hit me up if you want info on a church.

I might be making the move to Houston as well and I know a couple of people in Katy.

Katy is an interesting town. It used to be nothing but a small town with prairie and rice fields a decade ago, and now the urban sprawl from Houston has kind of just enveloped the entire town.

There isn’t much in the way of private schools in Katy and this in a town where most people are professionals with double incomes. This to me indicates that people are satisfied with the schools in the area and don’t see any reason to spend the money. In any case, you hear lots of good things about the Katy ISD. You do have John Paul II school on the west side of houston not too far from Katy, and you have Pope John XXIII High School in Katy. When I visit Katy I like to go to St Bart’s. They have a very active and diverse parish. Katy itself is a very diverse community; there are a lot off expats, and a large mix of races and creeds.

I don’t know anything about Sugarland but I do hear that it is a nice community. In Houston you generally want to stay on the north or west side of town and you’ll be ok. The two suburbs that I hear the most about in Houston are Cinco Ranch to the west and The Woodlands up north. They are both planned by the same builder and the homes are very similar. If you like a multicultural community and swimming you would go with Cinco Ranch and if you like white people, trees, and concerts then you would go with The Woodlands. Both of the communities have about 45 commutes downtown and there isn’t much in the way of public transport. Houston still hasn’t caught up to the 20th century when it comes to public transport unfortunately.

Good luck house hunting. I hope you find what you’re looking for.

St. John Vianney is a good parish, but it is not in Katy. In Katy itself, there are three parishes: Epiphany, St. Bartholomew’s and St. Edith Stein. Epiphany is very large (about 6,500 families), St. Bart’s is about 3,000 families and St. Edith’s is about 1,500 families. The pastor at St. Edith’s (Fr. Ryszard Kulma) is a friend of mine and he is a very good priest.

There are three parishes in Sugar Land as well. I am familiar with St. Lawrence, but not with St. Theresa or St. Thomas Aquinas. St. Lawrence is about the same size as Epiphany in Katy and they have a school.

You’ll love Houston! We don’t have much scenery really, lots of trees though, but the FRIENDLIEST people you’d ever want to meet!

I agree with this. I wasn’t born in Houston, but I have lived here longer than I have anywhere else.

Edit: Here’s a list of the more orthodox parishes in Houston.

Orthodox Houston

Those aren’t more orthodox, those ARE orthodox!:smiley:

Peace

Tim

Dear Faithful of the Houston Area:

I am writing to announce that the Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter (the Fraternity) is planning to establish a new apostolate in the Houston area as early as this summer. His Eminence, Daniel Cardinal Di Nardo has given his permission to establish a parish in the Houston area staffed by the Fraternity. This is a great blessing since all the sacraments would be administered using the liturgical books of 1962. A beautiful 40 acres property is being donated for the purpose of establishing this Fraternity run parish and we are making the necessary arrangements for the title transfer. The land is located near the intersection of Fairbanks North Houston and Breen Road in the northwest quadrant of the city inside the beltway.

read it here

fssphouston.org/index.htm

That is a long way from Katy and even farther from Sugar Land.

Peace

Tim

[quote="Orogeny, post:7, topic:253940"]

Peace

Tim

[/quote]

It is only 30 min from Katy or 40 from Sugar Land. I know it is good drive, but it is probably the closet regularly scheduled TLM in the area. I know a lot people are willing to drive a lot further than that to get to a traditional leaning parish.

[quote="KostyaJMJ, post:8, topic:253940"]
It is only 30 min from Katy or 40 from Sugar Land. I know it is good drive, but it is probably the closet regularly scheduled TLM in the area. I know a lot people are willing to drive a lot further than that to get to a traditional leaning parish.

[/quote]

I didn't see anything about a "traditional leaning" parish. The OP asked about an orthodox parish and I take that to mean one that sticks closely to the teaching of the Church. A "traditional" parish might meet that but it might not. I certainly would not be looking for a latin Mass if I asked for an orthodox parish.

The OP would be passing numerous parishes to get to that location.

Peace

Tim

[quote="Knocking, post:1, topic:253940"]
Hello, we are contemplating a move to Houston, possibly to the suburbs like Katy or Sugar Land. Does anyone have any comments on the suburban parishes or schools? We would want to move where there was a Catholic school whose first priority was to be a Catholic school (not just a private school) and an orthodox parish. I searched the forum archives and found a few recommendations of good parishes in the city, but does anyone have anything to say about the suburbs?
Thanks so much!

[/quote]

Parishes

As noted, there are three parishes in Katy itself. St. Bart's is the more conservative (love Fr. John), Epiphany the more liberal (they have Jesus nailed to the wall instead of a crucifix in the chapel). St. Edith Stein seems to be a parish in transition. The new pastor is really great.

Just to the east of Katy is St. John Vianney and just to the west is Sacred Heart and Guardian Angel. SJV is a mega parish - they used to do all of the ordinations and other big events there before they finished the new co-cathedral building. SH and GA are tiny parishes.

As for Sugar Land, St. Theresa's is an awesome parish. They even had EF Mass there once a month before the Cardinal shut it down. :( In addition to the parishes already mentioned, there is a brand new parish, St. Angela Merici, that is technically in Missouri City but that's practically Sugar Land.

Schools

There are no elementary schools in Katy. There is a terrific High School, however, Pope John XXIII. I know lots of the teachers and students there. The diocese keeps talking about putting a "regional" elementary school in Katy - the buildings at St. Edith Stein were supposed to accomodate a future school.

Katy elementary students either go to St. Elizabeth Ann Seton (NE Houston), Pope John Paul II (west Houston) or Holy Rosary (Rosenberg) for the most part.

In Sugar Land, there's a school at St. Lawrence and one at St. Theresa's. St. Theresa's Academy is a Classical based school and is pretty new (PK-3rd grade this year). People living in Sugar Land also send children to Holy Rosary and to St. Thomas Moore (SW Houston).

Besides PJ23, there is an all boys HS, Strake Jesuit and an all girls HS (St. Agnes) in South West Houston and a co-ed HS, St. Pius X that is in Houston but reachable. They are building a new Dominican high school being built in Spring, Frassati Catholic High School. Spring is north of Houston but not too far if you were in the north part of Katy.

My own kids either attended or have good friends that attended most of these schools. Feel free to PM me if you want more inside scoop. :)

Boy are you right about katy changing in the last 10 years. It use to be a suburb that was distinct and different from houston. But now there are subdivisions all the way from houston so no distiniction. You will have great hosptials and all the resturant you can think of. Katy ISD and fort bend are really good school district. Lots of national mertits, kids taking AP and college classes plus the arts, tons of clubs. If you want to do something Katy and sugar land will give you that opportunity.

I still don’t know what type of orthodox the OP wants. None of the parishes listed are going to be heretical. They have good pastors who may have their quirkiness but we have a really good sheperd in cardinal dinardo. As with all churches especially the bigger ones, you will need to volunteer and introduce yourself or you can get lost in the shuffle and you will need to teach your children the faith instead of counting on CCD.

[quote="Orogeny, post:7, topic:253940"]

Peace

Tim

[/quote]

Actually, for the time being they are offering their Masses at St. Elizabeth Ann Seton parish. That's in the far NW corner of Houston, bordering on north Katy. Katy is huge geographically. SEAS is far if you live down in the Cinco Ranch area but closer than Epiphany if you live north of I-10.

St. Elizabeth Ann Seton is a pretty orthodox parish overall. Having the EF Mass option just adds to that "flavor".

Usually when someone asks for an orthodox church I would suggest just that, an Orthodox church. I’ve never really come across a Catholic church that doesn’t stick closely to the the teachings of the Church, so any church in Houston or the in US will do in my experience. Parishes with a latin mass are more conservative I find and usually don’t have as many people who openly dissent from Church teaching. It is just there for information if that is what they’re looking for.

[quote="Corki, post:10, topic:253940"]
St. Edith Stein seems to be a parish in transition. The new pastor is really great.

[/quote]

Yes he is!

There are no elementary schools in Katy. There is a terrific High School, however, Pope John XXIII. I know lots of the teachers and students there. The diocese keeps talking about putting a "regional" elementary school in Katy - the buildings at St. Edith Stein were supposed to accomodate a future school.

We appear to be getting one of those at Christ the Redeemer.

Katy elementary students either go to St. Elizabeth Ann Seton (NE Houston), Pope John Paul II (west Houston) or Holy Rosary (Rosenberg) for the most part.

Minor correction. St. Elizabeth Ann Seaton is in NW Houston, not NE Houston.

Peace

Tim

[quote="Orogeny, post:14, topic:253940"]
We appear to be getting one of those at Christ the Redeemer.

[/quote]

No fair! First you get Fr. Horrigen and now you get a school! Share the wealth, why don't you? :D

Minor correction. St. Elizabeth Ann Seaton is in NW Houston, not NE Houston.

Oops! Big difference.:o

Houstonians are *very friendly! Thank you for this wealth of information. It's just a hypothetical move at this point -- I'm just trying to get an idea of where to start since Houston is such a big area.
As for what I meant by "orthodox," I actually had to think about that. While *I
get much out of a Latin/EF Mass, my family does not and that is not a requirement. (Also the Diocese website made it easy to see where those parishes are), which is why I thought orthodox might be a better word than traditional. A poster mentioned that there's not many Catholic parishes preaching heresy, and that's probably correct, but I've belonged to some that I didn't feel comfortable at: one priest used a puppet during homilies, the pastor of one didn't know that it is excommunication and mortal sin for a priest who breaks the seal of confession, other parishes where you heard the priest was advising people that sterilization is ok, that kind of thing.
But I also think it has something to do with the general feeling of the parish -- do the parishioners take their faith seriously for the most part? Are there a lot of big families? (Not everyone is called to a big family, I know, but large families can be treated like freaks in a parish where everyone has only 1 or 2 kids. The parish mentioned with the corpus on the wall instead of a crucifix might be a hint that the parish might not be a good fit -- not that it's heretical, just that I might be distracted or not fit in. Maybe "conservative" is the right word? Does the priest follow the rubrics? Are confessions available more often than 15 minutes on Saturday before Mass? Does the school stress the teaching of the faith? These are questions I would ask. I hope this makes sense and gives a little better idea of what I'm looking for -- no parish is perfect, though, that's for the next life;)
Thanks so much for everyone's help!

How about the area with the 77077 zip code? Is this Memorial? How is the west side of the city (in terms of living, not just the parishes)? We have little kids, so I know the suburbs are better for that, but it seems like there would be advantages to closer in to Houston as well.
Thanks!

[quote="Knocking, post:17, topic:253940"]
How about the area with the 77077 zip code? Is this Memorial? How is the west side of the city (in terms of living, not just the parishes)? We have little kids, so I know the suburbs are better for that, but it seems like there would be advantages to closer in to Houston as well.
Thanks!

[/quote]

That is a nice area. There are plenty of green-space either in that zip code or very close. The previously mentioned St. John Vianney is in an adjoining zip code.

Peace

Tim

[quote="Corki, post:15, topic:253940"]
No fair! First you get Fr. Horrigen and now you get a school! Share the wealth, why don't you? :D

[/quote]

Gladly. You are always welcome at CtR!;)

Peace

Tim

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.