Parishioners Making Up New Mysteries for the Rosary

We have a priest who is dying in our parish and we have been holding a weekly Rosary on Thursday evenings saying the Luminous Mysteries.

Until last week…

I was out of town but have it second-hand that those in charge made up a set of “Healing Mysteries” citing stories in the Bible where Christ healed those around him.

They are now talking about a series of “Parable Mysteries”. When I questioned the validity of these decisions (Since we have no priest present – he is dying.) I was put off by such statements as:

“Oh, we researched it on the internet…there are all kinds of mysteries possible in saying the Rosary.”

This is news to me. I would appreciate any and all feedback.

Because the rosary is a private devotion, people can privately meditate on any aspect of our Lord and Lady’s lives. So, yes, it is possible to privately pray non-approved mysteries of the rosary, so long as those mysteries are not antithetical to Christian doctrine. But in a public setting, such as a prayer group, one should limit prayers to those approved by the Church. In this case, the approved mysteries of the rosary are the joyful, the luminous, the sorrowful, and the glorious:

Joyful Mysteries

– Annunciation
– Visitation
– Nativity
– Presentation
– Finding of the Child Jesus in the Temple

Luminous Mysteries

– Baptism of Christ
– Wedding at Cana
– Proclamation of the Kingdom
– Transfiguration
– Institution of the Eucharist

Sorrowful Mysteries

– Agony in the Garden
– Scourging at the Pillar
– Crowning with Thorns
– Carrying of the Cross
– Crucifixion

Glorious Mysteries

– Resurrection
– Ascension
– Descent of the Holy Spirit
– Assumption of Mary
– Coronation of Mary

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.