Parkland Investigatory Commission Issues Report Calling for Armed Teachers

Many good citizens here on CAF called for such.

Now that the commission has released its report agreeing with these good citizens, some will still oppose it.

". . . the man leading the commission–Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri–had already made clear that the investigation had caused him to drop his opposition to armed teachers. His former position was to allow only law enforcement to be armed on campus, but that changed after the investigation . . ."

Parkland Investigatory Commission Issues Report Calling for Armed Teachers

AWR Hawkins 3 Jan 2019 Breitbart News

The commission investigating the February 14, Parkland school shooting issued their report calling for teachers to be armed for defense of themselves and their students.

Fox News reports that the more than 446 page report was “unanimously approved” and issued by the commission on Wednesday.

The report recommends that teachers “who volunteer to undergo firearms training, should be allowed to carry guns.”

On November 21, Breitbart News reported that the man leading the commission–Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri–had already made clear that the investigation had caused him to drop his opposition to armed teachers. His former position was to allow only law enforcement to be armed on campus, but that changed after the investigation turned up the fact that Parkland gunman had enough time to pause and reload five times the attack. During any one of those five reloads an armed teacher or staff member could have shot the gunman and stopped the attack. . . .

Once again, I’m imagining my late mother, a lifelong New York City schoolteacher, who taught in the poorest neighborhoods, and ended her career teaching students whose education was interrupted by a stint in Rikers, reacting to the suggestion that she shoudl carry a gun in her school. And I’m imagining Dana Loesch, the big, bad she-wolf of the NRA, trying to stand up to my mother once she got going.

:rofl:

2 Likes

Thanks Inisfallen for sharing.

Your mom sounds like she was quite a “go-getter”!
A great woman I am sure.

(Prayers for her soul from me as well.)

She was. She died, unfortunately, very young. Thank you, sincerely, for your prayers.

2 Likes

I’m very surprised the commission made these recommendations. Not because they aren’t sensible. If you can’t trust teachers with guns then you can’t trust them to keep and educate your kids.

That is the most staggering non sequitur I’ve ever seen at CAF. Really. We’ve entered the mulitverse. I give up.

exnihilo . . .

I’m very surprised the commission made these recommendations.

Yes I was surprised too!

I have not checked yet (I will, but have not so far), but I wonder if the mainstream media will cover this?

They probably will have to. Seems very newsworthy to me. But it won’t fit their propaganda narrative that’s for sure.

(Not for you exnihilo [as you and others already know this but] I am not implying everything they report is propaganda by the way).

How so? Most people drop their kids off with essentially strangers who can fill their kids minds with all sorts of ideas. If you can trust them with your kid’s mind then they just be exceptionally trustworthy.

1 Like

Believe me, I’ve been quite careful in choosing what school(s) my children attend. But their skill with a handgun did not enter into my calculations.

Oh, well I don’t think anyone is suggesting untrained teachers carry. That would be silly.

Somewhat off topic, but a eulogy, an ode, a panygeric, whatever, to my mother:

She taught high school in New York City. By choice, in the poorest, roughest, most dangerous neighborhoods in a dangerous city (at that time).

She taught the poor, in material wealth, in spirit, in education, in family (if they were the children of poor, uneducated, possibly criminal or drug-addicted people). She thought they deserved a shot, and that they deserved the same shot at education as the children of the middle and upper classes.

And she spent her life on this mission. And in her later years (which, since she died young, meant her forties), she chose to teach in a special program in NYC for high school students who ended up, before graduation, in jail. In Riker’s Island, to be specific (New Yorkers will know what I mean – maybe someone like MeltzerBoy will jump in here). Because she believed that those people, too, deserved a shot, a chance, something. Because she didn’t believe they were beyond redemption. Because she believed that poverty and deprivation were a big part of what led them to make some serious mistakes, and because she believed that education was what could enable them to choose a different course in life.

And I remember her wake. All these hard, tough-looking men and women turned up. Not of her ethnic background at all. And they told me, when they were introduced to me, “I was in prison. And today I’m not. And your mother is part of the reason why I’m not in prison today.”

She was (is) a saint. And she (along with my Catholic (Jesuit) education) is the reason I’m a “liberal,” or “progressive,” or whatever you want to call me, today.

And I can only imagine (and roll on the floor laughing) at her reaction to the suggestion that she should carry a gun in the schools at which she taught.

Seriously, she, unarmed, could face down anyone armed with an AK-47, or AR-15, or whatever. She was a tough lady.

And the embodiment of love. I miss her.

1 Like

Typically, these shooters keep going until armed opposition arrives on scene. They then commit suicide or get shot. Therefore reducing the time for armed opposition to arrive will save lives.

1 Like

I would never send my two children to a school at which the teachers were armed with firearms.

Just the difference between you and me, I guess.

Among other things.

1 Like

During the course of my life I had some good teachers and some awful teachers. I had a substitute history teacher that attempted to kick a student, missed, then slammed a door so hard the glass in the door shattered.

I’m glad he was not armed.

NBC reporting it and UK Independent (I was not surprised by a foreign agency reporting this. At times I have to go to foreign sources to get American news blackout information.).

Hat tip to NBC on this one for at least covering the story.

(I would have expected Breitbart to have the readers covered on this of course and Breitbart DID thankfully cover the story. Hat tip to Breitbart News here as well.)

And in fairness to CBS, they did at least cover that this was coming back in mid-Dec. before this now 446 page report was formalized.

I think we will see more coverage in the next day or two. Probably focusing on opposition and lots of proverbial wild west theories that will turn out to be hysteria like we saw when conceal and carry took off in America several years ago.

I would never send my kid to a school with metal detectors and where they need to have a sheriff or police officer on duty at all times. My rule is if you need scanning and police protection then it isn’t a safe place to be.

2 Likes

Making some use of foreign media is the only way to get an accurate picture of the US and the world.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.