Parliament Report Sounds Alarm: Low Birth Rate + Ageing = Financial Crisis

By John-Henry WestenOTTAWA, February 18, 2010 (LifeSiteNews.com) - One of the first official reports to indicate the disastrous consequences of Canada’s long-term below, replacement birth rate was released in Ottawa today by Parliamentary Budget Officer Kevin Page.  While pro-life leaders have…

Full article…

Hard to argue with the numbers.

It falls into the ‘be careful what you wish for’ category. Not much fo a future without children is there?

It's spelled aging in Canada, LifeSiteNews. :(

This is a phenomenon in most of the world's industrialized nations. In Germany, where I live, the situation is even worse than in North America.

As an aside to this, I recently picked up a book titled “The Great Depression Ahead”, written by an American financial adviser and analyst named Harry S. Dent. He does mention demographics, and assumes China and India will become the leading economic powers. Going on his own record, he seems to have been rather accurate in his predictions to date.

However I’m somewhat apocalyptic in my thinking, as I have long felt God is getting angry with us. The warnings from Mary at Akita in 1973 seem to indicate He’s losing patience.

So whereas Mr. Dent’s thinking is based purely on financial cycles, what he can foresee in the political world and economic world, I think God and the devil are also involved.

I don’t normally pick up books on economics, as the subject bores me, and we haven’t got the financial reserves to make much of a difference or insulate ourselves from turmoil anyway. However I picked up this one as the words, “The Great Depression Ahead” seemed to jump at me, and as I read the book, the following line also seemed to take root - “…our cycles strongly suggest something is about to occur that will be unfavourable for the world economy, the banking system, and stocks.”

Does anybody else feel this way? Are there economists or financial advisers on this forum who might have a comment either way?

[quote="RoncalliM, post:4, topic:187487"]
This is a phenomenon in most of the world's industrialized nations. In Germany, where I live, the situation is even worse than in North America.

[/quote]

I don't think you can blame it on industrialism. Mormons for example, as much a part of the global industrial economy as any group, just does not fit into this bell curve.

Having children or not having children, is more a reflection of individual values than it is of market forces

As much as secularist assure us that their lives have meaning, purpose and import, apparently not enough to invest into a next generation....

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.