Particular church

What on earth is a particular church ? and how is it different from a Personal Ordinariate .

A particular church is a part of the Catholic Church governed by a bishop.

The largest or highest-ranking particular Church is a sui iuris (self-governing) Church (the designation “self-governing” used relatively). The most well-known sui iuris Church is the Latin Church which the Pope governs directly. There are more than twenty others (Maronite, Melkite, Chaldean, Armenian, etc.), each governed by a patriarch or major archbishop.

Lesser than a sui iuris Church are dioceses (territorial) and eparchies (with members geographically scattered), each diocese or eparchy made up of parishes.

A personal ordinariate is very much like an eparchy, except that its ordinary (head) is not necessarily a bishop. It is called personal because its jurisdiction is defined by the persons in it rather than by a geographical territory.

I could be wrong, but I don’t think the Anglican Ordinariate is a particular church, since its ordinary is a priest (albeit one with special powers and privileges).

Interesting, I asked the question because some Protestant friends have told me that they are considering forming a particular church , my reaction::shrug: why .

[quote=“Catechism of the Catholic Church”]Each particular Church is “catholic”

832 "The Church of Christ is really present in all legitimately organized local groups of the faithful, which, in so far as they are united to their pastors, are also quite appropriately called Churches in the New Testament. . . . In them the faithful are gathered together through the preaching of the Gospel of Christ, and the mystery of the Lord’s Supper is celebrated. . . . In these communities, though they may often be small and poor, or existing in the diaspora, Christ is present, through whose power and influence the One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church is constituted."312

833 The phrase “particular Church,” which is first of all the diocese (or eparchy), refers to a community of the Christian faithful in communion of faith and sacraments with their bishop ordained in apostolic succession.313 These particular Churches "are constituted after the model of the universal Church; it is in these and formed out of them that the one and unique Catholic Church exists."314

834 Particular Churches are fully catholic through their communion with one of them, the Church of Rome "which presides in charity."315 "For with this church, by reason of its pre-eminence, the whole Church, that is the faithful everywhere, must necessarily be in accord."316 Indeed, "from the incarnate Word’s descent to us, all Christian churches everywhere have held and hold the great Church that is here [at Rome] to be their only basis and foundation since, according to the Savior’s promise, the gates of hell have never prevailed against her."317

835 "Let us be very careful not to conceive of the universal Church as the simple sum, or . . . the more or less anomalous federation of essentially different particular churches. In the mind of the Lord the Church is universal by vocation and mission, but when she put down her roots in a variety of cultural, social, and human terrains, she takes on different external expressions and appearances in each part of the world."318 The rich variety of ecclesiastical disciplines, liturgical rites, and theological and spiritual heritages proper to the local churches "unified in a common effort, shows all the more resplendently the catholicity of the undivided Church."319

[/quote]

Interesting. Protestants of what stripe, and what do you think *they *mean by the term?

Some of the friends were Westlyan .

Ah, so were they talking (jokingly or seriously) about forming a Weslyan Rite in the Catholic Church, or some such thing? I’ve heard of such proposals before.

They were talking Seriously , they also stated that they wish to keep their beliefs while
Forming such a church. :confused:

Believe it or not, people were talking about this sort of thing in the 1920s. Pope Pius XI addressed it in his 1928 encyclical letter Mortalium Animos, a good read by the way.

That letter I think goes to far , saying we’re a false Christianity , ( a blatantly false charge ) , but at the same time it’s interesting to see other people talk about uniting with the Roman Catholic Church , I’ll will pass on the info I’ve learned about particular churches to my friends , although I’ll try to talk them out of joining Rome .:D;)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.