Particular Judgment for non-Catholic Christians.

This may sound a little weird and esoteric. But it honestly worries me!

My husband and I were talking about “particular judgment” that each Christian will face after they die.

We were trying to figure out what we would say to Jesus. I’m pretty certain the only thing I will say is, “Lord have mercy on me, a sinner.” That is, if I can even muster up the courage to say anything to the Ancient of Days, the Lord Jesus Christ. At least I’m used to seeing Him and talking to Him in the Blessed Sacrament.

Then we started wondering what non-Catholic Christians will say. And this scared us!

When my husband and I were evangelical Protestant, we didn’t believe there would be a “particular judgment.” If you accepted Jesus as your Personal Savior, you were in! You die, you go straight to heaven. No questions asked, no arguments with St. Peter at the Pearly Gates. You’re in the door, hugging Jesus and greeting all your loved ones who went before you. Jesus is your best friend, your personal Savior, your Buddy. Above all, no judgment for believers. That’s only for the non-believers after the 1000-Year Millennium.

So what will these non-Catholic Christians say to Jesus?! :eek:

“Uh-oh!”

“Wait, I prayed the Sinner’s Prayer on June 1, 1968!”

“Purgatory!!! :eek: But all my sins are forgiven, past, present, and future!”

“What do you mean, Lord? Judgment?! That’s for the non-believers! Isn’t it? It isn’t?”

I don’t mean to make a joke out of this, since it’s not funny at all. I find myself very worried about my separated brethren, which includes most of my family. I assume that the Lord will have mercy on them because they didn’t know or understand. Surely He won’t hold their ignorance against them. I assume that because they were sincere in their desire to follow Jesus and know Him personally, that He will count them as members of His Body and welcome them to heaven, although I assume that many of them will spend some time in Purgatory along with most of us Catholics.

Is that correct?

I’m convinced that after believing, we will be judged on how we treat our fellow man. Too much of both the Old and the New Testaments address this for it to be ignored. Jesus, of course, is the judge, but Matthew 25 is pretty explicit about what will happen to those who don’t care about others. They obviously believe, because they will ask “Lord, when did we see you hungry…” It’s obvious from that one parable that simply believing isn’t going to be enough. Beyond that, the Judge of All Men has the only opinion that really matters.

Protestants believe that every person will face a judgment but for believers it will be different than non-believes.
But what I will say is :Thank you Lord, that I was not Catholic

Cat,

The more I read your posts, the more convinced I am you went to a church that was teaching you wrong theology. I am an evangelical and I dont agree with many things you have posted from your evangelical days.:frowning: I dont believe my minister would either. Of course I do believe in much of what you have posted but–:confused: some seems slightly off.

Im wondering if you were perhaps in a very legalistic church.

Anyway, that is neither here nor there. I do believe in judgement day. I am going to be judged for every deed I did or didnt do. Im sure I will be ashamed to stand in front of Christ when I realize how many deeds were not done in his Honor and for His Glory.:o

Thank God for Grace and Mercy and that He has forgiven me despite the fact I dont deserve it. But there is comfort to know that He loves me and gave me eternal life because I do beleive and have faith in Christ. Being judged, Im sure, is going to feel lousy but knowing the outcome is heaven is comforting.

I am a little confused on something you commented on though.

No questions asked, no arguments with St. Peter at the Pearly Gates.

Do catholics think they will be able to talk their way into heaven or give a good enough argument to convince Christ to say “OH OK you can come in.”:confused:

Im sure you dont believe this --right?:slight_smile: it just struck me as odd is all, as if that is what catholics believe they will be able to do.:confused:

Non-Catholics will be judged and, if not for Jesus, would be found guilty. However as guilty as we are, through faith in Jesus, we will be pardoned. If I must say something I would say “I am a guilty sinner. Lord, I rely completely on Yourr mercy and Your sacrifice.”

Why dont you read a passage of the bible that talks exactly about this.

Matthew 25, 31

As catholic or non-catholic, we are Christians who believe that all sin that is repented is forgiven. It will be buried in the Sea of Forgetfullness by God and remembered no more, forever. This is what Scripture says.

Then we all come to judgement time- call it purgatory( a place of purging) or call it the Judgement Seat of Jesus Christ ( again a place of purging). The question really is, if sin is not remembered, what is left to be purged?

Our intentions, our vanities, behind everythng we did or failed to do will be examined. They go through a purifying fire. And as they are represented in Scripture as wood, hay, stubble, gold, silver, and gems, the impurites are burned away and the valuable is made 100% pure, all the scum burned away.

This will be a very humbling experience at the least, terrifying at the most. Oh, sure, I give food to the poor to be fed, but I do kinda pat myslef on the back and think oh nice I am. Oh for sure I answer a lot of Scripture questions to my family because I am the designated “holy-roller” and I am happy to do it but don;t I think too “why can’t they do this for them selves-I did?” That stuff- the vanities.

Our differences lay in the timing- before Heaven or after Heaven? But we are argueing linear time when God operates in God time- where the past, present, and future are blurry lines as best we can understand it.

Not one of us is able to say that as our spirit is purged we will not be ashamed of ourselves. And that is the purpose of Purgatory-or- it’s Scripture name- the Judgement Seat.

It is high time we all agree that we will be judged.

I think none of us will be able to say anyhting at all, we will be just so grateful for even being in His Presence.

No. I will say the same thing. And I’ve been Protestant all my life. Why would I say anything else?

O+

Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of JESUS CHRIST of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom God raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole. This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner. NEITHER IS THERE SALVATION IN ANY OTHER: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby WE MUST BE SAVED (Acts 4:10-12). Salvation can only be found be found in the name of Jesus Christ. You CANNOT find salvation in the name of Allah. You CANNOT find salvation in the name of the Pope. You CANNOT find salvation in the name of Buddha. You CANNOT find salvation in the name of a religion or a denomination. You CANNOT find salvation in the name of an evangelist. You can only find salvation in the person of Jesus Christ. This is God’s plan.

“I AM THE DOOR: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture” (John 10:9).

1st John 5:13, “These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may KNOW that ye have eternal life…”

I have a feeling that what we will say is the last thing we will be worried about. My bet is that we all do a LOT of listening! :smiley:

You are judged on the state of your soul at death. You have no merit for any good works during your lifetime if you die in a state of unrepentent mortal sin.

I never heard of a church that doesn’t believe in Judgment after death. :confused: Even crazy Jack Chick tracts talk about Judgment of each person after death. (Well maybe Unitarians or some sort of church that doesn’t believe in hell???) What sort of church did you attend Cat?

I agree, Bob. I think that we all need to take a good look into our Bibles at Matthew 25, regardless of what label we happen to wear. After all,** this is Jesus Christ Himself talking**…:cool: He might just be worth listening to…

[quote="cat]I’m pretty certain the only thing I will say is, “Lord have mercy on me, a sinner.”
[/quote]

There is really nothing else that we can say. There is nothing else that anyone can say…

God help you. That is easily the:mad: most arrogant piece of phariseeism I have ever heard.:rolleyes: “I thank you, Lord, that **I **am not as other men”…Funny, I don’t remember that being the good guy talking in Jesus’ story.
You might want to re-read your Bible. I believe you just may have missed a couple of lessons :rolleyes: here & there along the way, what with keeping your fringes & tassels free of the muck around you, as :mad: you sailed on by the:eek: poor guy beside the road all bloodied from a beating…

Shame on you!!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.