Particulars about the Novena to St. Therese

Does anyone have the particulars about the Novena to St. Therese? I have a prayer card that says the say the prayer, 5 Our Father’s, 5 Hail Mary’s and 5 Glory Be’s for 5 days before 11 AM. On the 5th day say an extra set of 5 of each prayer. Is this correct, and does the time of day really matter? Does the rose you receive as an answer have to be actually given to you, or can you just see one or ? and do you have to receive it on the 5th day (I read somewhere that you will receive an answer within 5 days of completing the novena. ???

Any light anyone can shed on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Jay,

May I suggest that you not rely on specifics as the time of day or expectations of an answer on the 5th day, nor even less on the reception of a rose as proof of being heard. I am a secular carmelite, very devoted to St. Therese and other carmelite saints. This could truly be superstition to follow someone’s assurances because they happened to work for them in exactly that manner. That’s how these leaflets get circulated, but they are not sure-fire guarantees simply because they are performed to the letter on the advice of someone else’s experience.

I have never heard of this type of novena, not even in Carmel. Best would be to simply engage in earnest prayer with your own composition of prayers and/or words spoken very simply to St. Therese, perhaps accompanied with Mass and Holy Communion. She is a very simple saint known for her Little Way, and does not need flamboyant ceremonial exercises in order to hear the prayer of your heart.

You may find this excerpt from New Advent helpful.

newadvent.org/cathen/11141b.htm
Catholics know from their own experience that the novena is no pagan, superstitious custom, but one of the best means to obtain signal heavenly graces through the intercession of Our Lady and all the saints. The novena of prayer is thus a kind of prayer which includes in it, so to speak, as a pledge of being heard, confidence and perseverance, two most important qualities of efficacious prayer. Even if the employment of the number nine in Christianity were connected with a similar use in paganism, the use would still in no way be blameable or at all superstitious. Not, of course, that every single variation or addition made in whatever private novena must be justified or defended. The holiest custom can be abused, but the use of the number nine can not only be justified but even interpreted in the best sense.

Thank you for your response and the information. I will keep that in mind. I had received a very definate answer from St. Therese once before that had occurred on the 5th day. I had subsequently read about the other things which is why I had questions. I think I will just keep praying, without a timeline in mind and leave my requests/prayers in God’s hand.

I haven’t heard of this version of the Novena to St. Therese. Is this the same as a Chaplet?

The Chaplet of St. Therese (that I use, anyway) consists of 24 pink beads (one bead for each year of her life) on which is prayed… 24 “Glory Be’s”. Then, there is a silver bead where you pray for her intercession.

I, too, believe that St. Therese “does not need flamboyant ceremonial exercises in order to hear the prayer of your heart.” Although I have a prayer card with just what you describe for instructions (I’ve also seen many in Catholic bookstores:rolleyes: ), I don’t keep to those specifications. I think that to do so may lead one to superstition. You can be sure that she will do all that God allows her to do.

I have prayed this novena many times, at various times of the day. I can’t think of a reason why there should be a time constraint on it–there is no time in Heaven. Often a rose in one form or another comes my way during the novena or a days afterwards, but sometimes not at all. When I receive a rose I feel that it means St. Therese is there listening to me. The important thing is to pray with confidence and resignation to the will of God.

closed #7

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.