Particulars of the Mass

Can anyone recommend a book that explains the Mass in detail, without a lot of complicated theology? You know, something that explains the origins of everything in plain english? I would really like to know why I am doing this and the priest is saying that, and so on. I want to fully appreciate the Mass!

[quote="syrinx2112, post:1, topic:178212"]
I would really like to know why I am doing this and the priest is saying that, and so on. I want to fully appreciate the Mass!

[/quote]

Well, since you asked... look below. :)

This is the first of a pair of books. It deals with what the congregation does and says at Mass. It's full of Scriptural annotations, references to the Catechism, and quotes from Church documents. You can preview the book on Amazon.

The second book (which I hope to have out in the middle of next year) deals with the prayers and actions of the priest.

Can anyone recommend a book that explains the Mass in detail, without a lot of complicated theology? You know, something that explains the origins of everything in plain english? I would really like to know why I am doing this and the priest is saying that, and so on. I want to fully appreciate the Mass!

[/quote]

I highly recommend these two. They are exactly what you are looking for:

1. "Celebrating the Mass - A Guide for Understand and Loving the Mass More Deeply" by Alfred McBride
    amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=Celebrating+the+Mass

2. "The How-To Book of the Mass - Everything You Need to Know But No One Ever Taught You" by Michael Dubruiel
    amazon.com/How-Book-Mass-Everything-Taught/dp/1592762697/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259771069&sr=1-1#noop

[quote="jpjd, post:3, topic:178212"]
I highly recommend these two. They are exactly what you are looking for:

1. "Celebrating the Mass - A Guide for Understand and Loving the Mass More Deeply" by Alfred McBride
    amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=Celebrating+the+Mass

2. "The How-To Book of the Mass - Everything You Need to Know But No One Ever Taught You" by Michael Dubruiel
    amazon.com/How-Book-Mass-Everything-Taught/dp/1592762697/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259771069&sr=1-1#noop

[/quote]

2 is what RCIA gave to us when we started. Easy read. Very informative book. :thumbsup:

I’d recommend Adolf Adam’s “The Eucharistic Celebration” (although it was written before the most recent GIRM revision it’s still an outstanding, brief, easy to read, and thorough work).

[/quote]

How To Book of the Mass from Our Sunday Visitor
best I have seen addressing precisely your concern

And my favorite for the OF Mass is; Understanding the Mystery of the Mass by Fr. Matthew Buettner with forward by Dr. Alice von Hildebrand.

ISNB 1-57918-297-6

Queenship Publishing
Goleta, CA

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.