Parts missing from church

So I finally went to church again yesterday and noticed something was missing. The part that goes:
I confess to Almighty God, and to you my brothers and sisters, that I have sinned through my own fault. In my thoughts and in my words. In what I have done, and in what I have failed to do. And I ask Blessed Mary, every virgin, all the angels and saints. And you, my brothers and sisters, to pray for me to the Lord our God.
(I think that’s right. I can’t remember exactly.)

Is that normal? It seems like every time I stop going to church for awhile I come back and something is missing.

That’s the Penitential Act:

[quote=GIRM]The Act of Penitence

1. Then the priest invites those present to take part in the Act of Penitence, which, after a brief pause for silence, the entire community carries out through a formula of general confession. The rite concludes with the priest’s absolution, which, however, lacks the efficacy of the Sacrament of Penance.

On Sundays, especially in the Season of Easter, in place of the customary Act of Penitence, from time to time the blessing and sprinkling of water to recall Baptism may take place.56
[/quote]

There are several forms that can be used. You referenced Form A. See them here (both current and new):

usccb.org/romanmissal/samples-people.shtml

What you stated is one of three forms of the Penitential Rite. I know of at least three, but I could be wrong.

Penitential Rite A:

I confess to almighty God,
and to you, my brothers and sisters,
that I have sinned through my own fault
in my thoughts and in my words,
in what I have done,
and in what I have failed to do;
and I ask blessed Mary, ever virgin,
all the angels and saints,
and you, my brothers and sisters,
to pray for me to the Lord our God.

Priest absolution:

May almighty God have mercy on us,
forgive us our sins,
and bring us to everlasting life.
Amen.

With Penitential Rite A, you continue with the Kyrie, “Lord, have mercy…”

Penitential Rite B:

Lord, we have sinned against you:
Lord, have mercy.
Lord, have mercy.

Lord, show us your mercy and love.
         **And grant us your salvation.**

Priest absolution:

forgive us our sins,
Amen.

With Penitential Rite B, you continue with the Kyrie, “Lord, have mercy…”

Penitential Rite C:

Invocation…
Lord, have mercy.
Lord, have mercy

Invocation...
         Christ, have mercy.
         **Christ, have mercy.**
         Invocation...
         Lord, have mercy.
         **Lord, have mercy.**

Priest absolution:

forgive us our sins,
Amen.

With Penitential Rite C, you are to continue to the Gloria, except on Sundays of Advent, Ash Wednesday, and Sundays of Lent.

As has been mentioned, there are three options for the Penitential Rite.

In addition, if there is a sprinkling rite (common during Easter time or if there is a baptism during the Mass) the Penitential Rite will be omitted.

There are options the priest can use instead of the Confetior. If you go to Mass frequently you will become familiar with the options. Also different priests choose different options, so hearing different priests say Mass familiarizes you with the different options. Not every Mass is exactly the same. And some parts are omitted during different Liturgical Seasons. So if you continue to go to Mass every Sunday you will become familiar with all of this sooner or later.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.