Party Foods!

Dd will be confirmed next weekend. We’re having family and friends for lunch afterwards. There will be adults and kids of all ages.

I want to serve something other than a sandwhich tray. What do you like to serve on a buffet? (ideas must be reasonably priced and not too time consuming to prepare :slight_smile: Thanks!

cold pasta salad with a big variety of colorful vegetable and cheese chunks

fresh fruit salad

I’d go with a theme, either Mexican or Italian.

If Mexican do a fajita and taco buffet. Just put out all the ingredients and let everyone make their own fajitas and tacos. You can get the pre-made fajita chicken meat in a large bag (Tyson brand) at the grocery or Sam’s. Then just make a couple of pounds of ground beef w/taco seasoning, cheese, sour cream, heated up refried beans, tortillas and taco shells, shredded lettuce, tomatoes, chips & salsa, etc.

If Italian, you can still do a buffet… make a couple of different kinds of pasta-- spaghetti, bow ties, penne-- and several sauces like marinara, alfredo, meat sauce (all conveniently available in jars!). Then put them in bowls and let everyone make their own pasta dish. Include ingredients they can add like chicken strips (get the grilled chicken strips in a bag-- again Tyson is great for that), broccoli, sun dried tomatoes, some parmesan cheese, and make several loaves of french bread/garlic bread. Add a green salad and voila.

You can be fancy or plain depending on how many mix-and-match ingredients you make. You’ll just need one of those disposable chafing dish sets (you can get them at the grocery or Target) to keep the pasta and sauces or tacos/fajitas warm).

Seems like if it’s lunch time, and it will be adults and kids, you need to have something more substantial than appetizers to eat.

All of this is “make ahead” and then just warm up/heat up right before serving. Also, everyone can pick what they want and you have enough choices to please men, women, and children.

Buffalo wings, queso (hot cheese w/salsa) with tortilla chips,
small burrittos (tortillas spread with cream cheese and green
chiles, soften the c cheese and mix in the chilies .Roll the
wheat tortilla and cut into half inch portions.) You can tell I
live in the southwest! Have a great party!:

Reuben Dip

1/2 pound corned beef, chopped
1/2 pound shredded Swiss cheese
1 16-ounce can (or 2 8-ounce cans) sauerkraut, briefly rinsed, drained, and chopped.
1 cup Thousand Island salad dressing
1 tablespoon caraway seeds

Mix everything together, and spread in a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

Serve with rye crackers (rye Melba Toast, rye Triscuits, rye Kavli, etc.)

Delicious!

Leftovers make a good sandwich spread (on rye bread :slight_smile: ).

[sign]
**Crazy Internet Junkies Society
Carrier of the Angelic Sparkles Sprinkle Bag
Pace e Bene :slight_smile:
**[/sign]

For the next baptism I’m thinking about doing baked ziti with Italian sausage in it, a platter of various Italian breads, and a salad… and of course dessert! I figure it can all be done ahead of time and is filling too.

as I recall in Cleveland it is against the law to have a party for Baptism, 1st communion etc. without pasta and cabbage rolls. Down here, no beans means no sacrament, I think.

the corn beef thing sounds fantastic.

whatever you decide make it easy, and able to prepare everything beforehand so your mind is on the ceremony and the occassion, not on the food.

German tacos: Place German salami and mild cheese in a flour tortilla. Roll the tortilla. Melt the cheese however you do that. Slice into rounds.

Pizza dip: Put pizza sauce in a microwave dish. Over that, put cream cheese. Over that, put more sauce. Over that, put oregano, basil and mozzerella to your taste. Melt in the microwave until the cheese in the middle is oozey. Serve with thin slices of baguette.

For the family celebration for DS Confirmation this past spring, he picked the food - an he wanted BBQ. From a local BBQ caterer, we bought trays and picked them up the day before. We had pulled pork, chopped brisket, sauces, potato salad, beans, buns, slaw and Cake.

We have a neighbor who wanted to help out, and she volunteered to do our set up. While we were gone to the Confirmation, she came into the house and set up the buffet. That was her Confirmation gift, and it made things so nice - we came back to the house and it was all ready!

Crock pots are useful also. Meatballs in marinara, bbq meat (pork, beef, etc), lil smokies in bbq sauce, etc.

Yummy.

Where do you live and when should we show up?!?:smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.