Pascendi turns 100

On Saturday, September 8, 2007, Pope St. Pius X’s encyclical letter Pascendi Dominici Gregis will be 100 years old.

Do you think the Vatican will release a formal statement acknowledging the anniversary?

Tomster

www.ewtn.com/library/ENCYC/P10PASCE.HTM

I don’t think so. Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but the only times we really see “anniversary” encyclicals or special allocutions is with the social encyclicals. This is because Catholic social teachings needs “updating” as conditions in the world change, new problems arise and old solutions become ineffective (in other words, Catholic social teaching is timeless truths and principles applied to ever-changing social and economic conditions).

The only exception I can recall is 50 years after the definition of the dogma of the Immaculate Conception, St. Pius X gave a special allocution–but in it he never even mentions Pius IX, the Immaculate Conception, or even Mary–the short allocution is on other unrelated topics.

The Pope may mention it in passing in his audience for that day, but I doubt you’ll see anything special.

Too bad there probably won’t be any mention of it. We could certainly use a reminder, review, etc.!! You have probably seen the other thread active now, about Pius X and the encyclical - article in the NY Times.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.