Paschal candle after the Easter season?

I know that the large paschal candle is first lit in the darkness of the Easter Vigil, is used at liturgies during the Easter season and at baptisms and funerals, but what happens to it after the year is over and it is a new Easter Vigil? How is the old one discarded? Thank you and God bless all here.

[quote=J.R.]I know that the large paschal candle is first lit in the darkness of the Easter Vigil, is used at liturgies during the Easter season and at baptisms and funerals, but what happens to it after the year is over and it is a new Easter Vigil? How is the old one discarded? Thank you and God bless all here.
[/quote]

it is not discarded, it is kept in the sacristy and brought out for baptisms to bless the water, just as is done during the Easter vigil, and to light the baptismal candles, and at funerals to remind us of our share in the resurrection. They used to melted down to make Agnus Deis, small wax discs stamped with the image of Jesus as Lamb of God, stitched into fabric and blessed as a sacramental. I have no idea what is done with the paschal candle in our church at the end of the year, but I will ask tomorrow.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.