Pass over story and sin?

This story makes my stomach turn. The killing of so many innocents is horrific. Of course slavery is horrific too and it took dramatic acts to make the Pharoah release the Israelites. Is it a sin that I find these acts of God to be appalling?

God does permit mankind free will, but can bring good from moral evils that are done. Exodus 1:16 shows the evil a Pharaoh was capable of. The Egyptians believed that the Pharaoh was the incarnation of Horus, that is, a god. God could have completely destroyed Egypt due to hundreds of years of sin but spared them from death with the plagues instead. Exodus 8:15. Similarly with Herod and the Passover but the innocents are martyrs.

Yes, what is explained in Exodus 1:16 is pure evil. Returning that same evil upon the Egyptians seems contrary to our beliefs at Christians. I had not thought of the Egyptian babies that were slaughtered as martyrs. Appreciate your perspective.

God owns all human life. It is his to take at any time, in any manner he sees fit.

What is horrific is humans slaughtering other humans since God has forbidden man to murder other men. But death by the hands of God is just God exercising his absolute sovereignty over us. Before God, we have no right even to our own lives. Our lives are his to give, and his to take. Blessed be the name of the Lord.

And since I accept at face value that God is good, then anything he does, even inflicting death by his own hand, is therefore also good.

God binds man to moral law. We do not have that same authority to bind God to his own law.

So do I find your attitude sinful? Yes, I do, at least objectively speaking. You are setting yourself as an authority over God, which is a form of pride.

As a Christian, death is only bad if it leads to hell, generally speaking.

God is just not evil but permits evil.

Isaiah 45 (God calls Cyrus)

5 I am the Lord, and there is none else: there is no God besides me: I girded thee, and thou hast not known me:
6 That they may know who are from the rising of the sun, and they who are from the west, that there is none besides me. I am the Lord, and there is none else:
7 I form the light, and create darkness, I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord that do all these things.
8 Drop down dew, ye heavens, from above, and let the clouds rain the just: let the earth be opened, and bud forth a saviour: and let justice spring up together: I the Lord have created him.

It wasn’t like the plague was a secret. The Egyptians had plenty of opportunities to side with Israel, be circumcised, and partake of the Passover. It was their own obstinance that killed their firstborn, refusing to side with the God of Israel even as He demonstrates the gods of Egypt are powerless to oppose Him. Yet, unlike Pharaoh, the Egyptian people retained some degree of self-preservation. It’s no surprise that when the Israelites knocked on their doors the night of the first Passover asking for money and provisions, they didn’t hesitate to give them, for they knew what the God of Israel was demanding of Egypt, and surely must have figured that if the Israelites don’t leave now then the eleventh plague will be the death of every Egyptian.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.