Passages againt Division in the church

Can you please provide passages that are against division in the church

I personally know that Jesus making a prayer saying they may be one as the father and I are one so the world will know the father sent the son John 17:20 onward

Are there other passages?

The New Testament is littered with these thoughts. There are no grounds for disputing a call to unity. 1 Corinthians is one of the best examples.

Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment. For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you. Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ. Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul? (1 Corinthians 1:10-13)

Read the whole letter. There is another interesting quote from St. Paul speaking of the Lord’s Supper.

For first of all, when ye come together in the church, I hear that there be divisions among you; and I partly believe it. For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you. (1 Corinthians 11:18-19)

Ephesians also has some good material, especially chapter four.

I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called, With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love; Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; One Lord, one faith, one baptism, One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all. But unto every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ. Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men. (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth? He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.) And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ: That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive; But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ: From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love. (Ephesians 4:1-16)

Thanks that was very helpful.

Some Jesus quotes:

“He that heareth you heareth me; and he that despiseth you despiseth me; and he that despiseth me despiseth him that sent me.” (Luke 10:16).

“And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand.” (Matthew 12:25)

“Woe unto the world because of scandals! for it must needs be that scandal come; but woe to that man by whom the scandal cometh!” (Matthew 18:7)

Denominationalism and Divisions Condemned

1 Corinthians 3:1-4
Brothers, I could not address you as spiritual but as worldly—mere infants in Christ. I gave you milk, not solid food, for you were not yet ready for it. Indeed, you are still not ready. You are still worldly. For since there is jealousy and quarreling among you, are you not worldly? Are you not acting like mere men? For when one says, “I follow Paul,” and another, “I follow Apollos,” are you not mere men?

1 Corinthians 1:11-13
My brothers, some from Chloe’s household have informed me that there are quarrels among you. What I mean is this: One of you says, “I follow Paul”; another, “I follow Apollos”; another, “I follow Cephas”; still another, “I follow Christ.” Is Christ divided?”

1 Corinthians 11:17-19
In the following directives I have no praise for you, for your meetings do more harm than good. In the first place, I hear that when you come together as a church, there are divisions among you, and to some extent I believe it. No doubt there have to be differences among you to show which of you have God’s approval.

1 Corinthians 12:25
…so that there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other.

John 17:20-21
20 "I do not pray for these only, but also for those who believe in me through their word, 21 that they may all be one; even as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be in us, so that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.

Rom 15:5-6
5 May the God of endurance and encouragement grant you to live in such harmony with one another, in accord with Christ Jesus, 6 that together you may with one voice glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.

1 Cor 1:10
I appeal to you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree and that there be no dissensions among you, but that you be united in the same mind and the same judgment.

2 Cor 13:11
Finally, brothers, rejoice. Aim for restoration, comfort one another, agree with one another, live in peace; and the God of love and peace will be with you.

Php 1:27
Only let your manner of life be worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or am absent, I may hear of you that you are standing firm in one spirit, with one mind striving side by side for the faith of the gospel,

1 Pet 3:8
Finally, all of you, have unity of mind, sympathy, brotherly love, a tender heart, and a humble mind.

Rom 16:17 I urge you, brothers, to watch out for those who cause dissensions διχοστασίας and put obstacles in your way that are contrary to the teaching you have learned. Keep away from them. 18 For such people are not serving our Lord Christ, but their own appetites. By smooth talk and flattery they deceive the minds of naive people. 19 Everyone has heard about your obedience, so I am full of joy over you; but I want you to be wise about what is good, and innocent about what is evil. 20 The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet.

What are the consequences of division for that soul?

Gal 5:19 The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions ,διχοστασίας factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

[LIST]
*]*Notice the word for division / dissension **above (whichever word one’s translation uses) is the same Greek word in both readings, *διχοστασίας dichostasia = dissension / sedition / division ] the link is operational
[/LIST]*Since Paul writes under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, and the HS reminds and teaches them only what Jesus taught them. John 16:12-15 that means the teaching there and the consequences described, came from Jesus. *
[LIST]
*]*if it is so important not to divide from the Church or one won’t be saved, it goes without saying that it must be important to be in the Church to begin with, in order to be saved. *
*]*Gal 5: tells us the consequences If one continues in division from the Church, they will not go to heaven when they die. i.e. they go to hell. Therefore, *Jesus ties salvation to being in His Church and remaining in it.
[/LIST]Mere mortals founded all Protestant sects. For 2000 years division from the Catholic Church has been condemned. There’s no sugar coating that.
[LIST]
*]Paul condemned it Galatians 5:19-21
*]Ignatius condemned it Epistle to the Philadelphians
*]Irenaeus condemned it [FONT=Calibri]Bk 3 Chapter 2 vs 2-3 & [/FONT]Bk 3,Chapter 3[/FONT][FONT=Calibri] vs 2-3[/FONT]
*]etc etc down to our day
[/LIST]That’s why the CCC says 846

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.