Passing Peter's Power to Linus

Knowing that the election of popes has developed over the millenia into what we know it to be now, what was the process used to pass Peter’s position and power, if you will, to Linus?
Is there written description of this? And if so where can I find it?

[quote=carlc]Knowing that the election of popes has developed over the millenia into what we know it to be now, what was the process used to pass Peter’s position and power, if you will, to Linus?
[/quote]

It is found in the NT (quote from the Catholic Encyclopedia):

“The appointment to this office [bishop] was by a solemn laying on of hands (1 Timothy 5:22). Some words addressed by St. Paul to Timothy, in reference to the ceremony as it had taken place in Timothy’s case, throw light upon its nature. “I admonish thee”, he writes, “that thou stir up the grace (charisma) of God, which is in thee by the laying on of my hands” (2 Timothy 1:6). The rite is here declared to be the means by which a charismatic gift is conferred; and, further, the gift in question, like the baptismal character, is permanent in its effects. The recipient needs but to “waken into life” [anazopyrein] the grace he thus possesses in order to avail himself of it. It is an abiding endowment.”

All bishops receive the charism of their office by means of the laying on of hands, so too did Linus and all who came after him. I hope that helps you.

[quote=carlc]Knowing that the election of popes has developed over the millenia into what we know it to be now, what was the process used to pass Peter’s position and power, if you will, to Linus?
[/quote]

Actually in Acts 1 we see that Peter calls an election to replace Judas, who is replaced by the Apostle Matthias. It is very possible that Linus could have been elected too.

Did Peter personally pick Linus to succeed him? Did Linus know he was next in line for the Petrine ministry?

Irenaeus reports, in his work, Against Heresies, that the office of bishop of Rome was passed on to Linus.

catholic.com/thisrock/2000/0009frs.asp

newadvent.org/cathen/09272b.htm

[quote=Semper Fi]Actually in Acts 1 we see that Peter calls an election to replace Judas, who is replaced by the Apostle Matthias. It is very possible that Linus could have been elected too.
[/quote]

Do you think Linus was "with [the Apostles] the whole time the Lord Jesus went in and out among [the Apostles], beginning from John’s baptism to the time when Jesus was taken up from [the Apostles]?
(Acts 1:21-22)

Thanks to all who answered. This helps alot. Although I was already aware of the process of “laying-on of hands”, what I was really wanting to know was where Linus came from an who he was in relation to the apostles.

Your comments were all very helpful.

closed #8

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.