Passion of the Christ star says playing Jesus wrecked his career

Actor Jim Caviezel has spoken out about how playing Jesus in Mel Gibson’s controversial movie The Passion of the Christ has wrecked his career.

Since playing the Son of God in the 2004 film he said offers had dried up and was shunned by many within his own industry.

Although a box office hit taking more than $400 million worldwide the movie was condemned as being anti-Semitic.

Gibson, the film’s director, was later accused of making anti-Jewish remarks after being arrested for drink driving.

Caviezel recalled how he was warned against taking the role by Gibson himself who warned him he would never work in Hollywood again.

“He said, ‘You’ll never work in this town again.’ I told him, ‘We all have to embrace our crosses’,” the Daily Mail quoted him as telling an audience of churchgoers in Orlando, Florida.

Prior to playing Jesus, Caviezel was considered one of Hollywood rising stars and appeared in The Count of Monte Cristo and Angel Eyes with Jennifer Lopez.

Caviezel, a devout Roman Catholic, said he knew playing Jesus would be risky.

“Jesus is as controversial now as he has ever been. Not much has changed in 2,000 years,” he added.

dnaindia.com/entertainment/report_passion-of-the-christ-star-says-playing-jesus-wrecked-his-career_1538534

Poor Jim. Well, can’t say he wasn’t warned! One hopes he can comfortably live off the proceeds of POTC for the rest of his life.

Lots of other actors have found alternatives when work dried up - turned to directing/producing/writing and basically created their own projects and kept working that way. Please God he can do the same if need be.

I think satan hated that movie.

I also think that satan must try to destroy those involved in it.

Hollywood is a very atheistic world. There are always risks in playing a role like this because a lot of people in the movie and TV world do not believe in God and shun anything that promotes Him. I hope Jim realizes how much good came out of this movie, as well. I think it is an incredibly powerful movie and I watch it every year. :slight_smile:

[quote="Stjudeprayforus, post:3, topic:238549"]
I think satan hated that movie.

I also think that satan must try to destroy those involved in it.

[/quote]

I totally agree.

[quote="DaughterOfMary6, post:4, topic:238549"]
Hollywood is a very atheistic world. There are always risks in playing a role like this because a lot of people in the movie and TV world do not believe in God and shun anything that promotes Him. I hope Jim realizes how much good came out of this movie, as well. I think it is an incredibly powerful movie and I watch it every year. :)

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

The thing is, is that I really don't understand why. The movie got over $600 million world wide, so people must have liked the movie. It says that people thought it had an anti-Semitic thing going on through it, but I don't think it did. Hollywood is just full of people that want to mess with everything good in the world. It is depressing that Jim's career was hurt by the movie, but I like that he is able to not get ashamed from it and still do what he loves. I can't wait for his new show coming out this fall "Person of Interest" I am sure that will get some more people noticing him!!!

I also think he has placed many restrictions on himself which hasnt helped him. Last I heard, is he turns down roles if a woman is topless, if he has to kiss one, if theres violence...etc...I dunno..OTOH....

I also know theres many family friendly flicks he could do for Disney...this is just his side, and just cuz the man played Jesus doesnt mean we have the full story

HW isnt just filled with atheists

I also think he has placed many restrictions on himself which hasnt helped him. Last I heard, is he turns down roles if a woman is topless, if he has to kiss one, if theres violence...etc...I dunno..OTOH....

Good for him! I wish there were more actors like that...

He should rejoice. He is being persecuted for portraying our Lord. If his career further suffers because he refuses to do movies with a bad theme, his reward will be that much greater in Heaven.

Caviezel, a devout Roman Catholic, said he knew playing Jesus would be risky.

THAT's why he did such an awesome job! I had no idea he was a Catholic (I mean, who is? Especially in Hollywood!), but I was deeply moved by his performance. Watching the movie I couldn't see Caviezel, only the Man he was portraying.

[quote="CathModerate, post:7, topic:238549"]
I also think he has placed many restrictions on himself which hasnt helped him. Last I heard, is he turns down roles if a woman is topless, if he has to kiss one, if theres violence...etc...I dunno..

[/quote]

Do you have a source for that? I've seen in him movies since POTC where there was violence and where he kissed a woman...

Hollywood is a tough business, and even good actors can have dry spells. Look how long Travolta went from "Saturday Night.." to getting good roles and hits again.

Caveizel is a decent guy (in ways that Gibson isn't really), I wish him well.

Many actors that have played iconic or very well known but specific roles, bnd up having trouble with their careers later on. It's the nature of the business. Add to that a highly controversial role that is iconic.....he had to see this one coming. Even I thought that about the movie......this guy is going to play Jesus, and we will probably not see him turn into the next Brad Pitt.

Actors have to kinda know this going into a role like that.

[quote="kimbari, post:10, topic:238549"]
THAT's why he did such an awesome job! I had no idea he was a Catholic (I mean, who is? Especially in Hollywood!), but I was deeply moved by his performance. Watching the movie I couldn't see Caviezel, only the Man he was portraying.

[/quote]

Not only Catholic, but a good Catholic. He attended the same Catholic high school as my kids did, John F. Kennedy Catholic High School in little, ol' Burien, Washington. He comes back to the school sometimes to give talks to the students about how to walk the narrow path in life, as well as Hollywood.:thumbsup:

[quote="wild_thing, post:5, topic:238549"]
I totally agree.

:thumbsup:

[/quote]

Ditto. :thumbsup:

[quote="Abyssinia, post:1, topic:238549"]

Since playing the Son of God in the 2004 film he said offers had dried up and was shunned by many within his own industry.

[/quote]

Is he no longer a member of the SAG (Screen Actor's Guild)? Is he no longer getting royalty checks? Every time one of his movies shows up on TV, he still gets the residuals. And furthermore, with more distribution options opening up for increasingly fragmented audiences, *there is no, quote unquote, "industry" pe se anymore. *

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.