Passover and abortion

Ok, how does one answer this? I was arguing with a friend about abortion and the greater good and the sanctity of life and he said “But didn’t your God kill thousands of babies to free His people” referring of course to the passover.

[quote=AJV]Ok, how does one answer this? I was arguing with a friend about abortion and the greater good and the sanctity of life and he said “But didn’t your God kill thousands of babies to free His people” referring of course to the passover.
[/quote]

1. He then required Israel to redeem their firstborn as just recompense for having taken the firstborn of the Egyptians

2. He also allowed His own Son to be killed to free us.

3. Only He gives life and only He has the right to take life

4. It is spiteful to kill a baby in return for God killing the firstborn of a pagan nation

hurst

[quote=AJV]Ok, how does one answer this? I was arguing with a friend about abortion and the greater good and the sanctity of life and he said “But didn’t your God kill thousands of babies to free His people” referring of course to the passover.
[/quote]

Well technically god ‘kills’ (permits to die at any rate) all people - death is part of the human condition and children aren’t exempt. What we believe is that since all life comes from God we should leave it to him to determine how and where it ends, rather than hastening the process, whether by abortion, suicide, murder or euthanasia.

All our lives belong to God, not to us. They are His to take. Our own lives, and our children’s lives, don’t belong to us.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.