Pastor Claims AIDS can be cured by Christmas if we "Execute the Homos"

huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/03/arizona-pastor-steven-anderson-gay-men-_n_6263720.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

This is no better than the extremist imams preaching “death to infidels,” in my opinion.

It’s really hard to believe that this is what someone can get out of reading the Gospels. I’m honestly not sure that I believe in the same God as him.

This is a blog/commentary post at Huffington, quoting an article in a liberal blog, news aggregation site: RawStory

Please review the forum rules at the top of the forum and not start threads from blogs.

This church is in Tempe, AZ; so it is in my neck of the woods. I never heard of the church. I did a lookup of where it is at, and it seems to be in a small office park. All I can say is this is a tiny church in one of the most liberal cities in the state of Arizona. He can say what he wants, it is a free country, but he isn’t going to get many followers around here. If he did try to convince anyone to act in a violent way, knowing Tempe, he would be arrested pretty quickly. (in fact I wouldn’t be surprised if some action isn’t taken against him soon just for the lecture)

Huffington is giving this guy way too much publicity.

Also, we do not have a big problem with AIDS out here anyway. :shrug:

Detroit Free Press is carrying a story on this:

freep.com/story/news/nation/2014/12/05/pastor-steven-anderson-aids-sermon/19938645/

A couple of differences to note.

Every Christian that I know would strongly disagree and speak out against this man.
I do not hear about many Muslims that strongly disagree and speak out against the extemists imams.

The person in the video will not have people seeking to kill gays because of the video.
The extremist imams go have followers seeking to kill infidels.

It THE main stream newspaper in AZ too
azcentral.com/story/news/local/tempe/2014/12/04/12news-tempe-pastor-calls-for-killing-gays-to-end-aids/19903409/

You mean like the religious and secular Muslim leaders in Nigeria who are either marked for death or have already been murdered for speaking out against Boko Haram?

Yes there are some that do and we certainly need more. But notice I said not many speak out for that very reason, fear.

I just cant imagine there are very many people at all that would put the wacko comments the Arizona person made in the same category as the global threat to the “infidels”.

Sounds like the Pastor is trying to take the title of most hated church from Westboro Baptist.

That was my first thought too.

After doing some searching, was pleasantly suprised to see

washington.cbslocal.com/2014/12/05/jordans-king-abdullah-battling-isis-is-our-third-world-war/

And why don’t we (the Christian community) label this pastor as extremist and instead label his comments as “wacko,” yet have no issue identifying some imams as extremists and make no real mention of their comments being “wacko” in comparison to orthodox Islamic theology?

Edit- Rewrote my comment because the first version came off as being personally directed at dmelosi.

In my opinion wacko is worse that extremist, but extremist would work too.

You’re too quick. You answered while I was editing and doing a better job of phrasing my question.

Here’s my improved comment- “And why don’t we (the Christian community) label this pastor as extremist and instead label his comments as “wacko,” yet have no issue identifying some imams as extremists and make no real mention of their comments being “wacko” in comparison to orthodox Islamic theology?”

Too funny, but at the same time very sad.

One would like to know where this man’s credentials are from or is it just from a mail-order company he was ordained.

Just on basic facts, he is way wrong. One can visit the CDC stats and see there are a number of high risk groups.

Sometimes, there is deception involved where one may say something in knowing it can make a group look bad as well though that probably isn’t the case here and such cases are probably rare.

Monstrous.

Aren’t there laws about exhorting violence that could be used against this guy, and against the people who incite terrorists?

There is no difference between them in my opinion.

I think one purpose of evil is that we can look at evil and it makes us see the same thing in ourselves, while it can still be reversed.

So although I support laws that go after people who exhort violence, we should catch ourselves whenever we think of acting the same way, and start down the road of joining some mob, or group effort to “get somebody”.

Most of our problems in this country are not in somebody else, they are in the mirror.

I can only imagine what his opinion of catholics are.

Do you really think that the Arizona minister or whatever he is, is actually calling people to start going around killing gay people? There is no doubt that he is a wacko, but the biggest difference is that the radical muslim leaders are calling for wiping out or killing the infidels, and their followers are actually doing just that.

I agree that both are extremists/wackos but there is a big difference between them.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.