Pastor drops Whole Foods cake slur lawsuit, says 'the company did nothing wrong'

AUSTIN, Texas (KEYE) - Pastor Jordan Brown, who filed a lawsuit against Whole Foods last month claiming it had written a homophobic slur on a cake he ordered, announced Monday that he has dropped his lawsuit and issued the following statement:

Today I am dismissing my lawsuit against Whole Foods Market. The company did nothing wrong. I was wrong to pursue this matter and use the media to perpetuate this story. I want to apologize to Whole Foods and its team members for questioning the company’s commitment to its values, and especially the bakery associate who I understand was put in a terrible position because of my actions. I apologize to the LGBT community for diverting attention from real issues. I also want to apologize to my partner, my family, my church family, and my attorney.
The attorney for Brown says he ordered a cake from the Whole Foods store on Lamar Boulevard with the personalized message “Love Wins,” but when he received the cake it said “Love Wins F**.”

komonews.com/news/nation-world/pastor-retracts-whole-foods-cake-lawsuit-says-the-company-did-nothing-wrong

I’m confused about what actually happened. Did the man write it on the cake himself then claim Whole Foods did it?

I kind of wish WF would move forward with their suit against him.

Yes.
Whole Foods released a clip from the checkout video showing that the pastor had tampered with the package.

That seems to be the case. Why he picked Whole Foods for this little con is beyond me. My assumption is they are very LGBT friendly in every way.

Me too. The way the words “Love Wins” appeared on the cake left space for something else to be written below them–something a cake decorator would not do. I think this indicates he probably did the wording himself in order to draw attention to the gay slogan and discredit those who use it. If his intention was to cast aspersions on innocent people that would be despicable, especially for a Christian minister, if he did it. If true, Whole Foods would be within their rights to pursue their lawsuit against him. Apparently, they’d rather drop the matter than generate even more talk and bad publicity.

Just read an article on Fox that explains a lot. The pastor is openly gay. Apparently, he did this as a pro-gay stunt–to stir up support for his agenda. But like many who think they’re going to get away with telling lies, he got caught in his deception. I won’t make any judgments about his motives. That’s between him and God. But I do think he ought to pay some kind of legal consequences for perpetrating such a fraud.

Concur. Especially to the poor cake decorator who he accused.

Oh, absolutely. These fraudulent stories are everywhere nowadays. It’s so bad you can’t trust anything you see or read anymore. Remember “balloon boy”? I’m glad the parents in that case were punished for it.

at least he apologized and admitted Whole Foods did nothing wrong.
hope he gets some kind of counseling. I wonder what his church feels about “the incident”.

“Love Wins F__” doesn’t even make sense. Why would anyone write it? It is a good thing that a lot of these people who want their 10 Minutes of Fame/Infamy are not the sharpest knives in the drawer.

How noble of him! :rolleyes:

It really isn’t surprising that this turned out to be fraud. There have been numerous instances of fake hate crimes over the years. I think that sometimes people do this because they want to gain sympathy for their cause which sometimes works, until their fraudulent behavior is discovered.

Yea, Whole Foods was generous enough to drop their lawsuit against him.

Well, generosity might not be their whole motive. I hate to sound jaded here but I can see a couple of downsides to pursuing a lawsuit against the pastor, which WF’s lawyers no doubt pointed out to the CEO:

1. He’s a gay man, so the LGBT lobby could claim he was being persecuted over a minor incident–never mind the loss of company revenue, the good name of the company, and the attempt to destroy the reputation of an innocent employee that the pastor created with his actions.

2. To pursue it would only keep the whole mess alive in the public’s mind. They certainly don’t want or need more negative publicity due to this incident. So, it’s in their best interests to let it drop.

Did he sign the credit card paper?

Would his signature cause it to be considered perjury?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.