Pastor John Hagee tells God: Punish America for same-sex marriage or ‘apologize to Sodom and Gomorrah’

Cornerstone Baptist Church founder Pastor John Hagee blasted the U.S. Supreme Court this week for a “naked judicial power grab” over its recent decision legalizing same-sex marriage.
“This Supreme Court has made America the new Sodom and Gomorrah,” he added. “God will have to judge America or is going to have to apologize to Sodom and Gomorrah.”

rawstory.com/2015/07/pastor-john-hagee-tells-god-punish-america-for-same-sex-marriage-or-apologize-to-sodom-and-gomorrah/

Is it possible to be too zealous?

…or too self-important?

Or perhaps forgetting that Ireland was first?

:thumbsup:

I seem to recall a verse in Deuteronomy about not putting the Lord to the test.

He does tend to get a little fired up. And while he was Baptist, His Church is listed as non denominational.

While I don’t always agree with the way he puts it its good to hear someone take on a morally bankrupt court system.

Well- I think our nation is definitely going to be judged by God. I have believed for a number of years that the Whore of Babylon in the Book of Revelations is the United States. We are, arguably, the most blessed nation on earth, and have essentially turned our back on God. We have embraced a culture of death with abortion, euthanasia and capital punishment. We claim to have 70% Christian population (or so) but how many people actually act like Christians? The way people are voting is telling. When a 70% Christian population votes pro-choice, pro-gay marriage, when divorce isn’t considered wrong and first marriages are referred to as “starter marriages”- when kids are frequently being born out of wedlock … I could go on and on. We have become a morally bankrupt society. We need to pray that the US repents and returns to being one nation UNDER GOD before we are destroyed.

God punished Sodom and Gomorrah not out of wrath, but out of mercy. He continuously offered them mercy, yet they continuously rejected it. God destroyed them to stop them from making their situation worse, and to be a warning for those who do similar things as them. Remember, the most important goal is to save a man’s spiritual life. Christ Himself says:

I promise you, it shall go less hard with the land of Sodom and Gomorrah at the day of judgment, than with that city (Matthew 10:15).

…which hints that Sodom and Gomorrah’s fate is still underway. If God wanted to smite all homosexuals, ancient Athens would have been struck too.

God gives “test cases” for us, so that we might be guided back to the true Flock. God’s Justice is His Mercy, and His Mercy His Justice.

In fact, I would rather be punished for my sins in this life, so that I might be guided to repentance.

Christi pax,

Lucretius

Pastor John Hagee is not the first one who reminded people of Sodom and Gomorrah.

A few ordinary Catholic folk, years back, also thought about God needing to apologize to Sodom and Gomorrah.

We have become the Nineveh which needs Jonah without the whale.

Abraham pleaded for the people of Sodom and Gomorrah, there were not even ten righteous people there. I pray that there are at least that in the US. Likewise, when God destroyed the earth with the great flood, there were only 8 survivors, Noah and his wife, their three sons and their three wives.

Genesis 18
Judgment Pronounced on Sodom
16 Then the men set out from there, and they looked toward Sodom; and Abraham went with them to set them on their way. 17 The Lord said, “Shall I hide from Abraham what I am about to do, 18 seeing that Abraham shall become a great and mighty nation, and all the nations of the earth shall bless themselves by him? 19 No, for I have chosen him, that he may charge his children and his household after him to keep the way of the Lord by doing righteousness and justice; so that the Lord may bring to Abraham what he has promised him.” 20 Then the Lord said, “Because the outcry against Sodom and Gomor′rah is great and their sin is very grave, 21 I will go down to see whether they have done altogether according to the outcry which has come to me; and if not, I will know.”

22 So the men turned from there, and went toward Sodom; but Abraham still stood before the Lord. 23 Then Abraham drew near, and said, “Wilt thou indeed destroy the righteous with the wicked? 24 Suppose there are fifty righteous within the city; wilt thou then destroy the place and not spare it for the fifty righteous who are in it? 25 Far be it from thee to do such a thing, to slay the righteous with the wicked, so that the righteous fare as the wicked! Far be that from thee! Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?” 26 And the Lord said, “If I find at Sodom fifty righteous in the city, I will spare the whole place for their sake.” 27 Abraham answered, “Behold, I have taken upon myself to speak to the Lord, I who am but dust and ashes. 28 Suppose five of the fifty righteous are lacking? Wilt thou destroy the whole city for lack of five?” And he said, “I will not destroy it if I find forty-five there.” 29 Again he spoke to him, and said, “Suppose forty are found there.” He answered, “For the sake of forty I will not do it.” 30 Then he said, “Oh let not the Lord be angry, and I will speak. Suppose thirty are found there.” He answered, “I will not do it, if I find thirty there.” 31 He said, “Behold, I have taken upon myself to speak to the Lord. Suppose twenty are found there.” He answered, “For the sake of twenty I will not destroy it.” 32 Then he said, “Oh let not the Lord be angry, and I will speak again but this once. Suppose ten are found there.” He answered, “For the sake of ten I will not destroy it.” 33 And the Lord went his way, when he had finished speaking to Abraham; and Abraham returned to his place.

A true Christian should be asking for mercy and not for a punishment. Just my opinion.

This reminds me of Jonah, when he wanted God to punish Niniveh for their sins. They repented and he was left with nothing to witness… And he was upset. Not the right attitude at all.

A priest once gave a homily that this was just a story to illustrate an important point.

Coming from a Protestant background, I was like, Say what…?

If that’s true then maybe he should read Matt. 12: 38-42. Jesus said, “Just as Jonah was in the belly of the whale three days and three nights, so will the Son of Man be in the heart of the earth three days and three nights.” I think I will take Jesus word for it. God Bless, Memaw

The concept of God bringing judgement on America or apologizing to Sodom and Gomorrah goes back a few years.

Billy Graham mentioned it in2012

patheos.com/blogs/christianpiatt/2012/07/billy-graham-punish-america-or-apologize-to-sodom-gomorrah/

Scary thing is I cannot think of any nation that is a stronger Christian nation than the USA… Western Europe lost its way decades ago, and the Eastern Block went atheist under the Soviets and I don’t think they’ve ever recovered really.

Farther than that; I can remember hearing it back in the '80s.

:thumbsup:Oh yeah!

Your post made me look up Christian demographics… I found this hugely interesting:

pewforum.org/2011/12/19/global-christianity-exec/

A comprehensive demographic study of more than 200 countries finds that there are 2.18 billion Christians of all ages around the world, representing nearly a third of the estimated 2010 global population of 6.9 billion. Christians are also geographically widespread – so far-flung, in fact, that no single continent or region can indisputably claim to be the center of global Christianity.

A century ago, this was not the case. In 1910, about two-thirds of the world’s Christians lived in Europe, where the bulk of Christians had been for a millennium, according to historical estimates by the Center for the Study of Global Christianity.2 Today, only about a quarter of all Christians live in Europe (26%). A plurality – more than a third – now are in the Americas (37%). About one in every four Christians lives in sub-Saharan Africa (24%), and about one-in-eight is found in Asia and the Pacific (13%).

The number of Christians around the world has nearly quadrupled in the last 100 years, from about 600 million in 1910 to more than 2 billion in 2010. But the world’s overall population also has risen rapidly, from an estimated 1.8 billion in 1910 to 6.9 billion in 2010. As a result, Christians make up about the same portion of the world’s population today (32%) as they did a century ago (35%).

This apparent stability, however, masks a momentous shift. Although Europe and the Americas still are home to a majority of the world’s Christians (63%), that share is much lower than it was in 1910 (93%). And the proportion of Europeans and Americans who are Christian has dropped from 95% in 1910 to 76% in 2010 in Europe as a whole, and from 96% to 86% in the Americas as a whole.

At the same time, Christianity has grown enormously in sub-Saharan Africa and the Asia-Pacific region, where there were relatively few Christians at the beginning of the 20th century. The share of the population that is Christian in sub-Saharan Africa climbed from 9% in 1910 to 63% in 2010, while in the Asia-Pacific region it rose from 3% to 7%. Christianity today – unlike a century ago – is truly a global faith. (See world maps weighted by Christian population in 1910 and 2010.)

Greg

I think “brother” Haggee has it all wrong. Who is he to give orders to God?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.