Pastor-olitry, bible-olitry, musicolitry

I as a protestant and non denominational church goer was addicted to God making me feel good. I at least thought that it was God making me feel good. I insisted on a church that had music that was uplifting enough to make me feel good, and “feel” the Holy Spirit. I also expected the pastor to 'move me" and speak by the power of the Holy Spirit. Scripture seemed to be my main focus all the time outside of church services on Wed and Sunday, and that seemed to me to be a little off balance. Maybe I should have been serving and loving others more than I loved music, my pastor’s sensationalistic sermons with very little verses of scripture and the vereses i the bible that proved me saved and you were going to hell if you didn’t do as I did.

I am surely grateful that the focus is much more balanced o worship of God, without sensatuionalism in the Catholic church and that I do not have to try to make God make me feel good or make judgements towards others souls, as that is God’s job.
peace, justin

yup

emotionalism

can’t trust emotions in all things - they can lead you astray.

Worshiping God is not about making you feel good, it’s about making God feel good.
The reason that God give us music is so that we may use it to praise Him, in fact, God commands us to use music to worship Him

The things the OP listed are common failings among all Christians, IME(xperience).

I’ve known Catholics who say things like, “This parish just isn’t right since Fr. Whoever left.” Or “I have to have music that moves me at Mass or I won’t go to that Mass.” Or “The only homilies I really listen to are Fr. Whoever’s. The other priests/deacons are dull homilists.”

All of us need to realize that worship in church is a communal prayer offered to God not a time for personal gratification (although “getting something” from it isn’t a bad thing).

I won’t go so far as to say that only those who “get it” ought to be there, of course. I will say that we ought to help our brothers and sisters who don’t “get it” understand the real reasons why we attend our services/Masses–with love, patience, and understanding. :slight_smile:

[LEFT] An important reminder…
**Do Not Depend on Feelings (Link)
The promise of God’s Word, the Bible - not our feelings - is our authority. The Christian lives by faith (trust) in the trustworthiness of God Himself and His Word. This train diagram illustrates the relationship among fact (God and His Word), faith (our trust in God and His Word), and feeling (the result of our faith and obedience) (John 14:21). [/LEFT]

http://www.campuscrusade.com/images/train.gif [LEFT] The train will run with or without a caboose. However, it would be useless to attempt to pull the train by the caboose. In the same way, as Christians we do not depend on feelings or emotions, but we place our faith (trust) in the trustworthiness of God and the promises of His Word. [/LEFT]

One of the things that struck me at a family member’s recent wedding (at a Baptist church) was the fact that no Scripture was read during the whole ceremony. The preacher made a reference to Ruth, but no reading from the Bible. And I know the couple is very devout (the husband having been a part-time minister).

It just seemed odd that a supposedly “Bible” church had no Scripture at their service when a Catholic Mass always has three or four Scripture readings (including the Psalm), not to mention the fact that most of the prayers are lifted straight from Scripture. And yet Catholics get accused of not using the Bible!

From a fundamental evangelic point of view I can tell you that emotionalism without living a life that shows fruit is just that emotionalism, by the same token why wouldn’t someone feel good having spent 2 hours in the overwhelming presence of the Holy Spirit imbodied by all the born again believers within that congregation?
Trust me a spirit filled evangelic church is NOT based on emotionalism it is based on the fact that God reveals himself within that church.

I am thinking that emotionalism is not Protestant “thing”. Nor is it a Catholic “thing”.

Individuals in both camps can get caught up in it. There are aspects of the Charismatic Renewal that make me wonder than some of the people involved may be doing it for an emotional high. I hold the same opinion of charismatic Protestant churches.

As has been correctly pointed out, feeling good is not the goal. Worship of God is the goal.

And sometimes, we must worship through our pain with little spiritual consolation. I am experiencing this now with the changes in my life in the last few months (Wife divorced me in 2006, my elderly and infirm parents moved in with me in August, my father passed away in October, my sister and her daughter robbed my (blind) mother of thousands of dollars in November, my younger brother diagnosed lymphoma 3 days before Christmas, last Saturday, I learned that he has advanced aggressive stage IV lymphoma, both Hodgkin’s and non-Hodgkin’s, and it has spread to his bone marrow. He and started chemotherapy on Monday.)

Worship is not about feeling good. God does not promise that His faithful will not suffer. Instead, the Catholic Church teaches us that suffering helps to purify us; to make us more ready to be in His presence when our time on Earth is spent.

If for some reason you were going through a tough time in life(maybe someone close to you died), you wouldn’t think that God had suddenly abandoned you just because you didn’t get the emotional high, correct? I have talked to people who felt that their church was wrong, or doubted thier salvation because they couldn’t get that emotional high.

And Peter, who spent much more than 2 hours in the presence of both Jesus and the Holy Spirit, surely felt good when Our Lord said ‘get behind me Satan!’ … and when he and the other Apostles were accused of being drunk on Pentecost … and when Paul rebuked him for not eating with Gentiles … and when he was in jail? How about when he was persecuted and martyred in Rome?

I’ve lost both parents and have gone through many difficult things what’s awesome is though things change for us God immense love is unchanging. The harder things are the more I personally lean on God…I find when things are the toughest is when God is with me the most…It is difficulult at times for any human to realise God’s sovereignty, the deeper you rely on it and understand it the easier it is to weather storms knowing it is all for the GLORY of GOD.
Hope this helps.

this morning I would not have known what OP means by these words, but I had lunch with several people who talked about their fascination with Joel Osteen, Joyce Meyer and several other TV mega preachers, and based on their comments, sounds like at least the first coined word is very appropriate for some people. It really was a scary conversation in that all of these people teach CCD at various places around the diocese.

Been there, done that. Not going back.

The sermon on the very last day I stepped foot into a protestant church was on “prayer.” Dynamic pastor. Drew thousands.
Terrific sound system and worship leaders leading inspiring worship choruses. Singing for half an hour followed by the hour long sermon on “prayer.” Everything about prayer. Lots of bible verses to support prayer. Clever, humorous, anecdotal stories to reinforce the idea of prayer. Great time to concentrate and focus, since all the kids were shuffled out of the main “sanctuary” so the parents could sit and listen in peace.

Weird thing was, though, at the end of his sermon on prayer, he prayed a quick little prayer for about 30 seconds (something like, “Lord let us be a people of prayer”), and sent us all home.

Prayer??? Where’s the prayer?

I had recently started visiting Catholic churches again, but not until that day was I ready to take the plunge. I finally realized that the MASS is prayer! Nothing but prayer! Let’s see, we have a reading from the OT, NT, Psalms, and a Gospel, then serious worship and prayer. Nothing contrived by repeating the same chorus 4-5 times to get the people in the mood to worship and “feel the Spirit.” Nope, we’ve got the REAL THING! We have the REAL PRESENCE! And we’ve had IT for 2,000 years!

We aren’t always on that emotional high. That doesn’t mean that we loose faith. But if a person’s faith is ONLY built on their emotions then how much harder will it be for that person when he/she goes through dark times.

It’s all about love–and sometimes love doesn’t “feel good”–just look at a Crucifix for the greatest love of all.

A few weeks ago the rector of our cathedral related a story about a small group of businessmen who gathered every morning to pray. After doing this every day for a year, one of them confided that he didn’t feel the way he’d expected to feel. Instead of feeling more connected to God and more joyful and obviously at peace, he was going through a period of aridity. But he kept at it anyway.

The rector said that this is what a faithful prayer life will do, at some point or another. The soul is being cleansed and the Holy Spirit is working in it, in ways we cannot understand.

With our Lord Jesus Christ present in the Tabernacle, who needs music, or a stimulating sermon? We are at the wedding feast at Cana. Sermon? We are at the mount! We are in the garden at Gethsemane. We are at Calvary. We are home. He is with us, even to the end of the age. Amen. Alleluia!

EVERY DAY in the LORD is a good day, No dark times when He is in your presence… Darkness can NOT penetrate light, light CAN penetrate darkness, I suggest a faith evaluation if your living in darkness

Amen, to sit there quietly absorbing His presence, listening to His Word, reflecting on His majesty. What greater form of worship can there be than what we experience in the mass where He is Truly Present?

Amen brother! “Introibo ad altare Dei. Ad Deum qui laetificat, juventutem meum.” (Psalm 42)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.