Pastoral Care and Chaplaincy

I am a pastoral care provider/chaplain and as a Roman Catholic have practiced what is commonly referred to as “interfaith” pastoral care. I have a good understanding of that “interfaith” means or should mean but even during my training, the Calvinist supervisor never really made it clear what the concept is.

My actual purpose in starting this thread is 3-fold: (1) to get insights on your experiences with hospital or hospice pastoral care and the pc-provider, (2) share insights on providing pastoral care to the sick, the dying, the incarcerated, the bereaved, the grieving, (3) and to learn more about what you think about “interfaith” pastoral care and its usefulness to people of faith.

I would also encourage you to visit my blogs if you are interested in my principles on all of the above and as a prep for continuing discussions. Here are the URLs:
Church, Ministry, Pastoral Care
Pastoral Care
Bereavement and Grief Care

In the meantime, I’ll look very much forward to our exchanges and the learning experience with you.

I’m possibly just stirring the pot here:p: but doesn’t interfaith mean, be nice to everyone, and don’t upset anyone by challenging their beliefs, and participate fully in the protestant services without bringing in any popish practices, like the rosary.

triumphguy, Depending on who you talk to interfaith can mean multiple things. In today’s PC world interfaith would have your definition. From the Franciscan perspective it would mean respecting the beliefs of other denominations/religions without giving up your own. St. Francis didn’t meet the Sultan and immediately condemn his religion. He respected the Sultan and had an informed conversation with him.

You work with the commonalities to assist both sides in understanding the differences.

To me being in the same boat, looking toward my own degree in this field it means respecting the faith practices of those that differ from my own and helping each to foster their own faith practice. It is simply being a co-shepherd so to speak on one’s own road to healing. When co-shepherding with another Catholic this can be easier. Honestly the time to try to convert someone is not when they just lost a loved one. Marauder your example of St Francis and the Sultan is right on point.

I have experienced pastoral care and found it valuable. Especially if consider pastoral care having a chat away from any confessional. Last year chat certainly helped me to begin to change a few habits around. It wont stop such thinking etc but I now have a different outlook and my world is a better place for the pastoral care chat because as was said in the parish newsletter, no matter how bad life may get there is always something to be satisfied in. I can say that 100% true for me, now that I found what makes me ‘tick’ as such through the chat.(and first time that ever happend for me) I am not saying that life wont get that bad as does do because pastoral care on that score has turned things around and am really wondering how to thank him. Naturally I’ve said thanks then and at recent occaisions stemming from the chat. .

I guess main pastoral care I had in hospital was parish priest did bring communion every single week (apart from his week of) when had septic shock. And other times I been in the hospital chaplin did and received last rites.

But November, pastoral chat is has definately improved my quality of life and learning what to do a bit better

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.