Pat Robertson: Jews too busy ‘polishing diamonds’ to do menial work

I saw this story a few days ago, I wasn’t going to link it but…it’s just to outrageous not to share:

(JTA) — Televangelist Pat Robertson said Jews are too busy “polishing diamonds” to do weekend chores.

Conservative activist Rabbi Daniel Lapin appeared on the “700 Club” Monday with Robertson to discuss what makes Jews successful.

stljewishlight.com/news/world/article_99f01c2b-c3d0-5985-8c90-a4ffb930fcfa.html

jpupdates.com/2014/04/02/pat-robertson-jews-busy-polishing-diamonds-instead-fixing-cars/

ah, Pat Robertson, all I have to do is listen to him and realize that I am very glad to be Catholic. His stupid crack is bad enough but his promotion of prosperity message that Pat Robertson has repeated promoted in his books through the years is bad enough. Usually when one thinks about the property gospel, you usually and accurately do think of Joyce Meyers, Joel Osteen, Kenneth Hagin etc and so on. But Pat Robertson equally has promoted his own version of it himself through the years. I guess I will have to look up the quote but I am surprised that the good Rabbi didn’t point out that observant Jews are not out working on their cars on the weekend is because Saturday is the Sabbath and they would refrain from working on their lawns and cars etc. Likewise, the Orthodox Jews that usually does work in the diamond and jewelry business wouldn’t be “polishing” their diamonds on the Sabbath as well. I think Pat Robertson was using this Rabbi to again promote his own version of prosperity gospel. Just chalk it up as another stupid quote.

No fan of Pat Robertson am I, but these links aren’t really clear on context. Sometimes things looking very ugly in print, when truly, they weren’t meant in a mean spirited way. More important is this, and perhaps we should know, does PR have a habit of anti-Semitic bigotry? If not, this may be foot-in-mouth disease, lack of class not a darkened heart.

I saw this headline the other day. Evangelicals are going fast into wackyville with their worship of Israel.

Well there may be some Jews who are not spiritual at all.

But the real problem is that because Jews reject Jesus Christ, the King of the Universe, they reject the Catholic Church, the Church Jesus Christ left on Earth for salvation.

Pope Eugene IV:

*“The Holy Roman Church firmly believes, professes and preaches that all those who are outside the Catholic Church, not only pagans but also Jews or heretics and schismatics, cannot have a share in eternal happiness; but that they will go into the everlasting fire which was prepared for the Devil and his Angels (Matt 25: 41), unless they unite themselves to the Church before their death; and that so precious is the unity of this ecclesiastical body that only those who abide in it can benefit from the Church’s Sacraments for their salvation, and that they alone can receive an eternal recompense for their fasts, almsgiving and other works of piety and practices of the Christian militancy. No one, no matter how much he has given in alms and even if he has shed blood for the name of Christ, can be saved, unless he has persevered in the bosom and the unity of the Catholic Church.” *

Sometimes I think Robertson is just a shock-jock trying to troll us all. :smiley:

“Gays caused 9/11.”

“It’s okay to divorce your wife if she has Alzheimer’s.”

“Marital rape isn’t rape.”

Either that, or anno Domini is starting to take his toll. Either way, he only embarrasses himself and his supporters when he makes comments like this. :stuck_out_tongue:

You forgot that the Haitian earthquake was caused by a voodoo pack in the 1700’s.
He supported Rudy Guiliani for US president even though he is very pro-abortion.
He said that God told him who would win the presidency but wouldn’t share it with anyone.
He has made a number of predictions that haven’t come true.
He said that the Israeli prime minister was killed because he was going to give away land back to the Arabs. I’m not sure why he was such a following considering all of the above and then some.

I don’t think that is a fair analogy. It’s one thing to be a supporter of Israel, it is another to dishonestly have a conservative Jewish Rabbi on and use him to support your own “properity message”. He meant it as a joke I’m sure but one would think how many more stupid statements it is going to take from him before he finally is removed from his TV position. I’m afraid never.

He endorsed Giuliani? :confused: Now that’s strange, especially after his 9/11 comments.

And who can forget his Presidential run? “This is how the world ends, not with a bang but a whimper.” :stuck_out_tongue:

I knew people that were involved in his 1988 campaign. they actually thought he was going to be God’s agent to change things. I use to watch him a million years ago. there was a number of things said and his arrogant attitude that bothered me. Again, when I think of him, I thank God I’m Cathollic

Well, I still think George Bush did a better job. :smiley:

I sometimes wonder if he’d do better if he had a spiritual director or confessor. :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.