Patience prayer?

Does anyone know a quick prayer for patience? I seem to be surrounded lately by other drivers cutting me up or not letting me in if I have to go around an obstacle (waiting 5 mins this morning and gave up in the end - just waited till the thing moved!). I’m not a perfect driver by any sense but try and give way and be as nice on the road as I hopefully am walking. I just wonder if there are any quick prayers for patience I could memorize so I could think well of people instead of getting miffed. The only one that comes to mind is the Prayer of St. Francis (Make me a pillar of your peace) but that’s rather long. Thanks.

Not sure if this is what you want.

This is from Helen Steiner Rice -

God, teach me to be patient, teach me to go slow,
Teach me how to wait on You when my way I do not know.

:angel1:

Patience is a virtue of the Lord:
He awaits the return of His children.
Forgive my trespasses Oh Lord Jesus,
For many times have I tested You.
I deserved the wrath of Your hand,
But You saw greater things for me:
Your patience has been enormous!
Grant me a droplet of such endurance,
That I may abolish my impious impatience,
Refraining from using unpleasant words,
And always reflecting Your serenity.
Great is the Lord Jesus in His ways!

I find that my own impatience stems from pride. So when I find myself impatient with someone, I pray, “Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.”

Betsy

This may sound silly, but when I am in a frustrating driving situation, I say, O lord, give me patience, now! Makes me laugh at myself, and the situation.
Like I said, it is silly, but works for me.

Though not explicitly a prayer for patience, in frustrating situations involving other people, I’ve found it good and helpful to pray “God bless them anyway.” A good friend taught me this expression years ago by using it whenever she was upset with someone. It prays a blessing on them and also acknowledges our feeling of frustration/anger (which is OK; emotions aren’t good or bad, but the way we respond to them is).

Hope this helps.

I would pray for whatever/whomever is the cause of your frustration. “Lord, please help the person who cut me off with whatever is so urgent. Lord, help me deal with the traffic.” I would NOT ask for patience, as you may be given more opportunities to grow in patience (i.e., more trying situations).

Just my .02, fwiw.

God bless,
Dan

The AA Serenity Prayer is a good one:

‘God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change
The courage to change the things I can
and the wisdom to know the difference’.

Or just Jesus’ prayer from the cross - Father forgive them, they know not what they do.

I think Dan’s idea is a good one. It’s certainly the most successful for me. However, if you really want to grow in patience, you will, eventually, have to bite the bullet and pray to the Lord for patience. He will only present you with enough frustration to help you grow. If you learn from the lessons, they won’t be too trying. It’s only when I’m stubborn or dense that He has to send the really trying lessons! :wink:

I’m sorry, but I read your post and burst out laughing – “Lord, give me patience and give it to me NOW!!!”

But I know what you mean (oh, we of little patience, must support one another), so may I suggest a quick prayer for the other person may give you the perspective you need. “Lord, please keep him (or her or them) safe.”

I do better by just starting off praying BOTH for myself AND for the person/situation which makes me frustrated and impatient.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.